Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jaspar -- argh!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Jaspar -- argh!

After I dropped Megan (puppy farm girl) off to Tara yesterday I stopped at the park on the way home and took Jaspar for a walk. Of course he immediately ran down into the muck in a moaty kind of thing around an old wall... but OK, I can wash his paws off. A bit later he runs back down and sticks his big cavalier nose into the muck, trying to find sticks to retrieve (OK, this is my fault, I encouraged him to do this on walks along a creek filled with sticks when he was small and now he thinks any body of water must have sticks he needs to search for...) . So now his muzzle is black with mud. We walk along further and he takes off like a shot into a field then starts rolling madly... I know what it will be: either horse or deer poop. Turns out to be soft horse poop and now he is really smelly. So we get home and he gets a bath and blow dried and at last, looks nice!

Then today I take all the dogs to the park. Jaspar actually stays out of the creek so continues to look really nice. Then halfway through the walk he dives into a pile of horse poop... not too bad as it is pretty dry and because I use The Stuff conditioner spray on him and it has silicone it actually repels a lot of stuff. We walk through a little woods and twice I stop him rolling in more horse poop. We head back along the grassy area and he runs and finds... wet horse poop. Aughhhhhh! At this point I know I am going to have to wash him again when I get home. We walk about 50 yards further and he literally DIVES into a huge soggy pile of deer poop and smears himself in it... the size of a cow pat nearly; and totally soggy, it was just disgusting! Now he is covered in green slime and REEKS even from 15 feet away. Needless to say he was delighted with himself. It is absolutely the worst he has ever been on a walk with finding lovely smelly poop to roll in.

He was so awful I had to get a crate out of the boot and put it together and stick him in that, separate from the others, for the drive home. Then he got a second bath and dry. Figured I'd just do them all so I have three very fluffy clean cavaliers now. Thank goodness Leo and Lily are less enamoured of rolling in wet poop though both were very interested in eating the deer poop! :

It occurs to me that the dogs are probably as disgusted with the way they smell right now as I was with the way Jaspar smelled earlier.

At times like this though I wonder why I ever got a dog in the first place!

BTW my brother just got a lab puppy from a rescue in Marin County, Calif where they live, so he has all this ahead of him.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

What a lad!!!!

Ollie smells really bad at the moment (been rolling in something no doubt!) but I'm worried about drying out his skin with too many baths! Everytime I rinse him off after going to the dam he dives head first into the couch and wriggles all around it's pretty funny!!
    Emily and Ollie (29/10/06)

Post Thanks / Like

My girls do the same thing when I bring them home from the groomer - roll on the sofa, bed, etc., to try to get that smell that WE like off of them! I guess they get disgusted with us when we spritz on perfume before going somewhere.
    Critter -
    RIP Wallis, John Robert, Tibby & Pip
    Mom to JoJo, Roxie & Linguini (Cavaliers)
    and my birds Moji (Senegal) and Walter (Blue Front Amazon)

Post Thanks / Like

i've been going to the dog park a lot recently with my friend and her lab and she (the lad, not my firend, heehee) has been rolling in deer poop like its going out of style. poor pooch has had soooo many baths recently......
    "Not all who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien

Post Thanks / Like

hahahahahahaha oh no .... Jake was always so well behaved I forget sometimes doggies do these things.... I too have this to look forward too..
    RIP Jakey my beautiful bleinhem boy
    To all my other pets that have passed, I'll see you again until then I love you all xox

Post Thanks / Like

oh karlin i can just see him now have a good roll
    Mom to freddie 1 yr old (blen), baxter 1 yr old (ruby) and molly 3yr old (tri)

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! He was on a mission!! There's something to be said about being that tenacious!
    Jen, Abbey (Tri Cavalier) & Gus (White Min. Schnauzer)

Post Thanks / Like

Karlin u should have took pictures!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

He actually smelled so much I just wanted to get him in the shower. Deer poop is the worst; the colour and smell are very hard to wash out if it is really wet. :
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

So i have all of that to look forward to