Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oh oh, he's "begging for dollars"!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cathryn View Post
    I have booked in the dogs I feel I need to have scanned, !

YAY Cathryn - I'm so thrilled you've made this decision

It means so much to me - and I guess to everyone who loves Cavaliers, that breeders do care and are prepared to go the extra mile...to help prevent the misery and suffering that Syringo causes...

I personally have THREE affected dogs here - I'm very lucky in that two of them appear to only be mildly affected, and the one moderate/severely affected is doing well on his current treatment {which was devised after a lot of research, trial and error and expense, but is SO worth it to see him enjoying his life}.

It's very hard living with an affected dog, you feel like you are sitting on a time bomb, somewhat like MVD really - but this is so painful for the dog, their eyes plead with you to help them...

When TedBear was scanned just over a year ago, we really thought we would be lucky to have him still by Christmas he was starting to deteriorate by October, but we were very fortunate in that a new treatment was announced which helped him.

Big hugs for all your dogs, esp the ones you are scanning - please keep us posted with the results, and be aware that we have everything - the doglets have all crossed their paws for you xxxx

Bruce, thank you so much for starting this post - please know that I and many others are aware of how difficult it is for breeders - we are lucky in the UK that there are these low cost schemes available. I really hope that your post will inspire everyone to help in whatever way they can...it would be such a tragedy to lose our wonderful breed.
    Last edited by Nicki; 23rd May 2007 at 10:38 AM.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crittercall View Post
    **Use caution with PayPal. Like any other website, it can be hacked into, info stolen, etc. We were the victims of a scam artist who took over $5000 from our bank account; luckily the bank worked with us and returned the money to our account. I personally will never do anything through PayPal again.
    That's exactly why I opted for wiring the money. There are just too many ways for hackers to get into "secure" sites. I almost never order over the internet, much less use something tied to my bank account or credit card.

JeanKC brought up a good point. People not involved in breeding and showing generally have no idea of the money involved. For people to say that breeders should bear the burden of research is kind of like saying doctors should pay for research on human diseases. Here's the response I once gave to a person who tried telling me about all the money I made selling puppies:

"I have a terriffic business deal for you. You can be my 50/50 silent partner. I will show and breed my dogs like I have been over the past almost ten years. I will charge nothing for my time, only actual expenses related to showing and breeding. You don't have to do anything but split the profits or losses at the end of the year 50/50. With all the money you say I make, how can you go wrong? The only thing I ask for is a financial statement showing that you can afford to cover a loss "if" it happens.". The person wouldn't take me up on it; didn't trust me I guess.
    Bruce
    MysticKnight Cavaliers

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Actually, your normal bank account is likely to be just as, if not more, exposed than anything on PayPal, a lot of that because you use and throw away paper and credit card details in the 'real world' and hand over your card to strangers all the time. I write about security a lot and you risk far more every time you hand over your credit card in a shop or restaurant -- MUCH easier to get your details that way and go on a spree! -- then through PayPal.

The true state of the vulnerability of accounts at banks -- which after all are held on networks that can be hacked -- has been revelaed mainly because California passed a law requiring any breach of security to be reported to the account owner or owner of the information breached. That has put a lot more of these cases out into the public domain. By contrast PayPal has had very few problems, most of them coming from people who accidentally give their information to fraudsters through phishing scams. Just to give some perspective. I've been using PayPal for half a decade with no issues.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Nicki, I am so glad I made your day!! And thanks for your support too! It will be a couple of VERY nervous days I am sure, I am bad enough when the Cardiologist is listening to their hearts, time seems to stand still whilst they say things like, "Hmmm" & "Aha" and then they take the stethoscope off and say "Well that's all OK for another year then" you realise you've been holding your breath and you feel the weight lift off your shoulders!

Bruce, I too had some-one say to me that I must be making a lot of money from the dogs, I simply took them outside onto the works car-park pointed out my old banger and said "Yeah! OK, do you like my NEW car?"

I have just mated one of my girls and have spent I guess in dollars $1000 already, we don't even know if she is expecting yet or not, let alone how many there will be! I said it earlier and I will say it again now, there is NO MONEY to be made from breeding dogs if you do it properly, I.E with all the health testing, this last 14 months I have had 3 disasters, 1 girl who didn't conceive and a emergency C-Section where there was only 1 puppy (Darcy ) whom I am keeping, amount of money coming from the dogs? £0 Amount out, well if I added it all up my OH would divorce me!!
    For me, this is a labour of love and certainly NOT a way of making money!!
    Cathryn
    Cavaliers leave pawprints in your heart and hair on everything else!!
    RE-LIVE YOUR CHILDHOOD THROUGH YOUR KIDS, THE TOYS ARE SO MUCH BETTER THESE DAYS!!

Post Thanks / Like

I made a donation (a little more than ONE office visit at the vet) with the thought of the donation was sort of insurance for my own two. We as a community of dog owners need to support those that are trying to find a solution to this. God forbid SM touches my two babies or the babies I will one day own...but we owe our precious dogs the chance to live as happy of a life as they can. We all try to find the best food to feed, the best toys and we all do whatever we can to protect our babies...we must support this research.

Because of the donation, I was sent a copy of Clair's thesis. I gave the thesis to my vet (she was THRILLED to get it) because honestly, it was beyond what I could easily understand. I am hoping (selfishly) that she will gain a better understanding of SM and how to treat it should it ever be an issue for us.

Make a donation, big or small. You owe it to your beloved Cavies.
    Lynn
    Momma to Molly (blen) Maxwell (tri) Nora (blen) and 2 kitties

Ohhh yeah...and 2 human (20 & 21 yr old) "children"

Post Thanks / Like

In relation to the Paypal issue, I had also been a user for over 5 years when this happen. And you are right about other fraudulent issues with the bank. Someone took a check with all of our info on it - including having a picture id showing them to be my husband - and tried to cash it in a Washington, DC bank for $5900. The alert teller checked and realized that it wasn't my husband. We were out of town at the time; nothing like getting a message on your answering machine that says "This is the fraud department at your bank." Then we had to go through the hassle of new account, new debit cards, etc. What a pain!
    Critter -
    RIP Wallis, John Robert, Tibby & Pip
    Mom to JoJo, Roxie & Linguini (Cavaliers)
    and my birds Moji (Senegal) and Walter (Blue Front Amazon)

Post Thanks / Like

Great topic Bruce. Can the breed clubs take a good portion of the fees they charge in registering dogs and donate it to this research? Even a slight increase in those annual fees geared for this research could really help. Coupled with private donations and breeder involvement, it could make a difference.

Unfortunately, the bybs and millers will continue to reap money, do nothing for the breed except perpetuate bad gene pools, and continue a downward spiral. It happened with dalmatians, cocker spaniels and so many other breeds.

Thank goodness for all the wonderful researchers, medical personnel, conscientious breeders and others out there who really care about the breed!
    Molly and Murphy (tri), Katie (ruby), Casey (B/T),Spike the wonder pup (tri), Suzie (tri) and Penny (blen)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    Actually, your normal bank account is likely to be just as, if not more, exposed than anything on PayPal, a lot of that because you use and throw away paper and credit card details in the 'real world' and hand over your card to strangers all the time.
    I say this all the time to people who look horrified when I tell them I buy more goods online than off.

Ok, I am off to make my little contribution.
    ~ Sam, Sonny & Beau ~