Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: a small limp

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think I'd insist on an Xray first or ask for a neurology appt but not schedule an MRI until you've met with a neurologist.

Dogs do get both front and hind limb weakness with SM and it can cause limping but no pain. The reason is that the dog just experiences weakness. Leo has this -- he might jump on my lap but has a very poor ability to balance and can just fall over sideways. :

If the weakness is due to SM it will likely come and go. If it returns (and an xray shows nothing, if done) I would ask for a neurology appt. Not for an MRI immediately but for a consult. A neurologist will test for weakness as well as pain and will know what areas to press for example -- pain isn't always apparent until a neurologist tests the potentially affected areas (eg they will push down hard on flashpoints.They will do other tests as well andthe neurologist will know pretty quickly whether it should be followed by an MRI.

Hopefully it is just a sprain or pulled muscle but it would be odd for there to be no pain with something like that. You could also go see someone with an orthopedic speciality perhaps?
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

These are the only two neuros isted for Maine:

Cook, Laurie B. Portland, ME
    Potthoff, Alan D. Portland, ME

However none of them are known to have experience with SM. If you go here

http://cavalierhealth.org/neurologists.htm

you will see states that have someone with SM experience and then can click in to find someone near you (the specific neurologist will be indicated). It is worth going to someone with SM experience if you can. This doesn't mean the Maine neuros don't have experience, just that of a small group of people with affected cavaliers who have seen neurologists and reported that to the site, none have seen either of these people.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Karlin! I think I see improvement in her today. (no, actually she has improved...a little more each day) I feel like we should just wait and see if she continues to improve before making an appointment.....would you wait??? If she doesn't improve to 100% then of course I will seek treatment. I am so glad that you brought up the idea of making sure the neurologist has experience with SM. I am not working right now and could drive to Boston (or where the best care in New England is) I hadn't given it one thought that I shouldn't just TRUST who my vet sends us to!!!!! (one of the many reasons why I just LOVE this group.)

thanks so much
    Lynn
    Momma to Molly (blen) Maxwell (tri) Nora (blen) and 2 kitties

Ohhh yeah...and 2 human (20 & 21 yr old) "children"

Post Thanks / Like

No limping this morning, and very little yesterday!!! I am a bit nervous to write this as I don't want to 'jinx' her / us....but I wanted to share the good news!

Happy Day!!!!!!!!
    Lynn
    Momma to Molly (blen) Maxwell (tri) Nora (blen) and 2 kitties

Ohhh yeah...and 2 human (20 & 21 yr old) "children"