• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What brand dog food do you feed your furbabies??

dog food brand---our own!!

hi....

we gave up on commercial dog foods after all the recall problems here in the US. we had been feeding the dogs nutro lamb and rice. i read enough articles and news sources on dog food preparation to make my head spin.

here's what we do...about once a week we make the food. the contents are split about 1/3 protein, 1/3 vegetable, 1/3 starch. we usually use chicken/rice/peas and carrots and ground beef/potato/beans. we also usually top it with a bit of cottage cheese or yoghurt. this week we actually made a giant batch of food that combined all of the above...we decided the dogs wouldn't be particular upset if their beef and chicken menus were mixed. in addition i usually give them a small mid-day treat of a bit of cheese and some fruit. snacks are shredded wheat biscuits and rice crackers. most nights they get a small bit of something from dinner...maybe a crust of bread or a bit of chicken.

they've been on this for about six weeks. we started off giving them the same amount of this that we gave them in dry food (1/2 cup 2x/day). turns out this wasn't enough. we took them to the vets to be weighed this weekend and they both had lost a bit of weight. gadget went from 18.4 to 17.6 and was looking a bit thin (he's on the tall side) and sasha went from 15.3 to 14.6. (he's not even a year old and i didn't want him getting too thin.) so we've upped the quantity for the next couple of weeks and will take them again to be weighed to see how we are doing.

we are not giving any supplements other than cosequin.

i think it was karlin's comments that convinced me that we could do this home-cooked diet without losing our minds. and it's really not bad in terms of extra effort. they love it and i feel better about doing this. (side benefit....poops are MUCH easier to deal with.)

anyway, we'll keep this up for about six months and then have a checkup to see what the vet thinks about how they are doing.

margaret

p.s. in the interest of full-disclosure i need to admit that my husband is actually the one who does all the preparation. he's the cook in the house. but he tells me that it REALLY isn't much work!

King eats Vets Choice Little Bites/Lite mixed with Vets Choice canned...But switching him over to Nature's Variety Raw medallions. He absolutly loves the RAW!!!!

Barney is now on James Wellbeloved, same with the treats and ostrich tendon chews. He was getting dandruff/scurf with pedigree chum.

Audrey started eating Wellness a few months ago. I used to give her Vet's Choice, but she got bored of it. I also tried Eukanuba and Chicken Soup - she was allergic to both. I also think she might be allergic to the Wellness.

Though I'm starting to wonder if it's a certain type of ingredient (ie protein/grain) she's allergic to or a certain brand? It doesn't make sense to me that she would be allergic to three different brands. I do like the Vet's Choice, but it's hard to find and she gets bored b/c there aren't that many varieties.

I'm feeding mine Canidae and Evo mainly, with some Pinnacle Trout and Sweet Potato for variation. Geordie seems to be sensitive to all grains, so he gets Evo. They eat vegetables like carrots and green beans for snacks.

jadan is 1 year 3 months and is fed in the morning with james wellbeloved...(no poultry even in the treats) .the once a day routine def cut out any tendancy toward holding out for other food!!! he has been on this brand oooo forever (tried them all believe me and this one works for us) in the evening he has a small treat or something to keep him going over night. doesnt sniff about outside as much either as i suppose he has a fuller stomach, and isnt even bothered when we have lunch!!! goes for a walk a couple of time during the day if i am about (generally only work 2 days) and gets his main walk on an evening so he isnt running full pelt on a full tum. (heard thats very bad for dogs as stomach can turn over!)

I feed Toby on Butchers trip, which honks :grnyuk:

But it seems to be doing him good, his coat is really fantastic and his weight is a lot more managable.

He also gets a very small handful of mixer sometime. I must admit to giving him a Sunday dinner once a week with loads of veggies which he loves. Toby will also eat lots of raw veg and when I'm shelling peas he is stuck right beside me waiting for any I drop.

Chloe loves Beta. When we first had her she would not eat anything and it was a right game trying to find her something she would even go near. After several of test boxes we discovered Beta (small breed) and she loves it! I know alot of people say Cavaliers are quite greedy dogs but not ours, she will sit on your lap whilst you have your dinner and not go near it she just wants a cuddle!

I feed Toby on Butchers trip, which honks :grnyuk:

But it seems to be doing him good, his coat is really fantastic and his weight is a lot more managable.

He also gets a very small handful of mixer sometime. I must admit to giving him a Sunday dinner once a week with loads of veggies which he loves. Toby will also eat lots of raw veg and when I'm shelling peas he is stuck right beside me waiting for any I drop.

we used to feed our lab jake butchers tripe before we got lucy, and as you say honks not to mention the flatulance it gave him:yikes :yikes

Has anyone tried Joe & Jacks? I found out my supermarket sells it & it's a natural dog food which boasts no colours, preservatives & so on. Only problem is it doesn't do a puppy food.

Back