Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Belly covers in stead of cones

Post Thanks / Like

molly is adorable. that is a great idea....i like the thought of making it out of a mesh, or even bandage-like material. it actually looks cute on molly and matches her collar ;-)
    Mom of Indiana Jones 'Indy' (Ruby male)

Post Thanks / Like

What a great idea!! She certainly doesn't seem to be that bothered by it does she? Might be worth asking your vet if they buy them in or make them theirselves when she goes back to have her stitches out?
    Cathryn
    Cavaliers leave pawprints in your heart and hair on everything else!!
    RE-LIVE YOUR CHILDHOOD THROUGH YOUR KIDS, THE TOYS ARE SO MUCH BETTER THESE DAYS!!

Post Thanks / Like

It kind of makes me think of when I first put the puppia on Sasha. It absolutely paralyzed her. She thought she was unable to walk in it. And the snap of the clasp made her jump a mile!!
    Critter -
    RIP Wallis, John Robert, Tibby & Pip
    Mom to JoJo, Roxie & Linguini (Cavaliers)
    and my birds Moji (Senegal) and Walter (Blue Front Amazon)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Update - here is how to get the belly covers...

Hello!!!
    This morning Molly went to the vet in order to get her stitches removed. Everything went fine, the scar looks good, and she is now playing in the garden.
    I took some pictures - one from this week, and the next to show you her scar. Actually, I was a little surprised at first to see, how much they cut in her, so this picture is just to display to "first-time-dog-owners" that a long scar is normal

I did some research on the belly cover. It is produced by a Danish company, but their website is in several languages, including English.

http://www.kruuse.com

The belly covers (or abdominal bandages) come in different sizes. They are normally sold to the vets in packages of 5. The product numbers are 162000 (small), 162002 (medium), 162004 (large), 162006 (Xlarge), 162008 (XXlarge). You just type the number in the "search" at the website.

The prize was more difficult, and I was told to underline that the prize is just estimated, since they normally sell to vets. In Danish kroner it varies from ca. 250-450 kr., depending on the size, for one package with five. This is ca. £22-40.
    However, they can be used several times, they are washable (to 90 degrees) and flexible, and Molly did not even try to rip it off. When we had to wash it (she accidently peed on it a couple of times), she stood by me looking interested, and she was patient when we put it on her again.

But still: A creative person might easily be able to create them with a sewing machine. Just remember to use elastic strings.

Post Thanks / Like

The size of the incision can depend on the dr doing the surgery. What I've seen is that the older, more experienced doctors usually make a smaller incision.

One of the vets I worked with was having her boyfriend (also a vet) spay her dog. He was doing strictly emergency work which is usually not done as "cosmetically" as surgery in a regular clinic. She was having fits when he started shaving her dog in the middle of her chest for a spay - nothing really wrong, just two different types of practice.

Your little girl looks good. In a few months you won't even be able to see the scar.
    Critter -
    RIP Wallis, John Robert, Tibby & Pip
    Mom to JoJo, Roxie & Linguini (Cavaliers)
    and my birds Moji (Senegal) and Walter (Blue Front Amazon)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default How to make a belly cover

Hi everybody.
    Someone (you know who you are ) asked to buy Mollys belly cover. Unfortunately we threw it out after use, but I made this simple drawing, so a creative person might be able to sew them. I hope you can use it.
    By the way - today, 10 months after surgery, her scar is very tiny (barely 1 inch long) and looking really nice.
    Charlotte

Last edited by ourempire; 27th March 2008 at 04:59 PM. Reason: addition

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hey, thanks! I'm going to try to sew one.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Gosh I wish I had one of theese right now.Silva is completely frozen with her cone on,refuses to move.She is just terrifired ....Finally I gave upp and found some old pantyhose ,cut off the legs and put them on Silva. It works ok,but she'll have to sleep with cone tonight.otherwise shell just eat the pantyhose and get to the wound.
    Best wishes from Islandica┤s Cavaliers