• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Any advice on removing gum??

nursejess80

My sweet husband took Ruby the other day to get a "pawdicure" at Petco, and on the way into the store, she apparently stepped in a huge wad of gum. The girl at the store tried to get it out, but there's still some left in her paw. I had to clip out a huge chunk of it last night. The only way I know to remove gum from hair is by using peanut butter, but that isn't my best solution because Ruby will try to eat her paw if I put that on it!! Any suggestions??

Jessica...excuse me for chuckling....but what is involved in a "pawdicure?" Do they paint their nails?? I have this funny vision in my head of dogs getting their nails done. Anyway...I used to use a spray solution that was slimey on my kids hair when that happened but I don't remember the name, plus I don't know if it's safe when licked off paws.

Jessica...excuse me for chuckling....but what is involved in a "pawdicure?" Do they paint their nails?? I have this funny vision in my head of dogs getting their nails done. Anyway...I used to use a spray solution that was slimey on my kids hair when that happened but I don't remember the name, plus I don't know if it's safe when licked off paws.

Yeah, it's a pretty funny name, isn't it? I think you can get their nails painted, but we haven't done that (yet). Basically, they clean up the paws, trim between the pads if the hair is long and overgrown, and they trim the nails.

As far as scissors go, I used them to get the one big piece out, but the rest is matted up and stuck too close to her pads for me to feel comfortable using scissors again. She's not uncomfortable or anything, but it just bugs me that it's there.

Try an ice cube. It will make the gum hard and you should be able to get it off. If too close to her paw, you may need to hold it there just a little at a time.

Last edited:
Good idea about the ice cube...gosh it's been awhile since I've had gum stuck to my hair, but got to think about it again in the context of Bianca! -Natalie;)

I'm glad this came up as my town is full of gum!

Broken glass and cigarette butts not stamped out are everywhere too.

Peanut butter seems to be the popular recommendation on that thread from reader comments (good excuse to get a jar and give a spoonful as a treat to the dogs... if not yourself!).

Peanut butter seems to be the popular recommendation on that thread from reader comments (good excuse to get a jar and give a spoonful as a treat to the dogs... if not yourself!).

This reminds me of the Simpson's episode when Marge tried Peanut butter on Lisa to get gum out! It might work on dogs but it didn't work for poor Lisa!!

My knee-jerk reaction to the paw would be go back to the pawdicurist and ask them if they can't use their clippers and get it out..........

Just FYI, my groomer says that she hasn't painted a dogs toenails in years, and that the polish has become harder to find. You couldn't see it on my girls because of the hair.

Back