• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Flying With Our New Puppy

Jenny37

Hi everyone, we are going down to Florida to visit my sister. I had originally thought my mother in law could take of our 16 week old (she will be this old by then) little TinkerBell, now I am having second thoughts.

I have had my mother in law watch her on 2 occasions, within the last 2 weeks and it seems that TinkerBell has more accidents with her. There is no way that she will do 8 days.

So my dilemma is...we will have a direct flight of an hour and forty-five minutes. But with checking in early, waiting on baggage etc... this is obviously going to be longer than she is used to waiting to go potty. (except at night, she then waits between 7 and 8 hours before she goes in the morning) If I withhold food and water like I do after 8pm, then she will not be eating or drinking until like 2pm--that's about 16 hours total. So what do I do?

Secondly, what is she wants to get out of her carrier during the flight? I am not sure that she will sit quietly on our laps.

This just seems very stressful flying with a puppy who is not potty trained!!!

I flew up to Boston to see my parents when Oliver was a baby. It was 2 years ago, so I am trying to remember the particulars...but it went smoothly and that flight was about 2 and a half hours. He went in a carrier under my seat. I actually did take him out and let him snuggle in a blanket on my lap...but you have to be careful that your neighbors and the flight crew don't mind (and aren't allergic), as you are really not allowed to do this. He slept the whole way.

As for pottying, I didn't give him food or water before we went (at the vet's advice)- I would check with your vet. I took him outside of the airport to potty when I first got to it and again when we landed.

The hardest part was juggling everything since I was by myself, but I am sure it will be easier for you with another person.

I took Ginger with me down to florida (from NY-3 hr trip on plane) at around 6 months of age (a lot older than tinkerbell...but) my breeder suggested to me to take the earliest flight / or latest possible, so it is closest to her sleeping times. She suggested not taking her out in the airport itself, as many people will come over and fuss over her and want to see her.
I did anyway though!! She got some energy out of her and slept the whole ride through. I had withheld water from her (gave some treats though to get into the bag) and when we got off the plane I took her for a walk. Again I took her for a walk when I got to my brothers and she didnt go (but she went when we got INTO his house! Right on the bed we were sleeping on!!) However, that was just 1 time. Theres been other times when Ive found a small area in the airport with not many people, set down a wee wee pad and she went right on it.
I dont know if this helps you, (sorry if it doesnt) but I think if you withhold food/water till you get off the plane you'll be ok. Or even if she drinks early on in the am but make sure she urinates before the airport.
I wouldnt take her out from underneath you the first time, I have done so and had Ginger on my lap entire flights, and she just sleeps on my lap, but the first time I didnt take her out at all.
Good luck, I think its best when You can take them early and get them used to it. Ive flown with ginger over 7 times and shes been great every time.

We're flying to pick up a new pup tomorrow. :D

Our vet advised that we give her only small amounts of water, no food before and during the flight.

Apparently, the problems start if they get stressed and start throwing up or pooping. Then, they can dehydrate quickly.

We have a layover and I'm hoping that she'll pee on a pad in the airport.

Then, I'll give her a few sips of water but not much. Good luck.:xfngr:

I am flying to pick up my new puppy on Sunday. I am curious what airline were you on when you put your puppy on your lap? Also, how particular is the airline about the underseat carrier? AA's website said it couldn't be higher than 9 inches, but I could not find one that was only 9 inches. The one I ended up buying is 9 3/4 inches. Will that be a problem? It is soft sided so it would problably be a little flexible. I would die if they wouldn't let me take the carrier on the plane......This is the first time I have ever flown with a pet, so I am a little nervous. The puppy will be almost 11 weeks old. Thanks for any tips. JD

I am curious what airline were you on when you put your puppy on your lap?

When Oliver sat in my lap, I believe it was AirTran, as that is usually what I fly to go home. No one was in the seat beside me, though. When the flight attendant walked past, she said, "Now you know you are not supposed to have that dog out, right?" and smiled and winked at me and never bothered me again. He was so good- he just slept in the blanket, and he was so tiny that people couldn't even tell walking past me. But, when he did have to go under the seat for take-off and landing he was really good in his carrier, too.

Most people I have seen post about flying say they are not that particular, even on weights of dogs though obviously it would be hard to get a really big cavalier on board and under a seat! I cannot imagine they will even notice a 3/4" height difference, especially on a soft carrier -- I think that 9 inches really relates to how much space there is under the seat so if you have a rigid carrier, it would need to fit that space. A soft carrier will just squish underneath.

You'd need to be cautious I think about taking a puppy out of a bag. Someone sitting next to you could have allergies or not care much for dogs and I think that needs to be respected (I like dogs but don't know how much I'd want to be sitting next to someon playing with a dog on their lap for a whole flight, while meals are served, etc). Also as turbulence can occur any time it really is safer for a puppy or dog to be in the carrier (and probably, asleep anyway). I am a very frequent flyer (unfortunately!) and have been on flights that suddenly hit clear air turbulence and have seen things go airborne, from dinner trays to people. I now always keep the seatbelt at least loosely fastened as the experiences are pretty sobering, if infrequent. Something on your lap could go sailing through the cabin and you wouldn't want it to be that cute puppy!

That's true about the turbulence.. I am a much wiser dog-owner now! :) And, I agree about allergies- I got lucky and was sitting by myself. Before I had a dog, I don't think I would have been too happy about someone having their dog out the whole flight- in fact, I can say that about a lot of things now that I am a dog owner! Somehow, it relaxes you so you don't "sweat the small stuff"! :)

We flew from England to Chicago, IL with a 14 week old pup. It was VERY easy 8 hour flight. We were told to bring the pup to the rear of the plane to let her stretch (and the attendants wanted to see). The most stressful part was being the very last to board the plane and waiting for them to bring me our pup. Sandy

that's about 16 hours total.

Meant to add that while withholding food is the norm and a puppy will be fine waiting the length of a flight (or this long) without eating, I don't think a puppy should be without water for that long. I'd give your vet a ring and see what they say. I'm sure they'll offer some advice on the phone. I'd probably give water first thing in the morning and just try to get the dog to go on a pad or on a little walk at the terminal while partner waits in the queue to check in (someone has to get the short straw... :lol:).

Luckly, my flight is just 2 1/2 hrs. I will definitely take your advice and keep the little one nice and cozy in her carrier. I will just have to resist the temptation to cuddle until we arrive.....then I will more than make up for it !!!!! JD

I mostly fly AA but have also flown Jet Blue with her. Always so far going to the same place, so the flight time is the same.
My carrier is the large sherpa (or maybe medium-def not small) and basically when I go to the counter to check in your pet, which you have to do because you cant Eticket with a pet, I put her down on the floor *in the carrier* in front of the big check in desk, no ones the wiser. They dont measure or weigh her, so Ive been lucky. (although shes 15 months already and 15lbs so she wont get much bigger).
The times I took her out of the carrier are when the people next to me were totally cool with it, and I always put her snuggled in a coat/fleece that ive had with me. I do agree with Karlin though, and hadn't given it much thought, that its not a very safe thing to do. I always just wanted to take her out of that squishy small space!! But she is right, and the best thing to do is keep them in because not every time will they be able to sit on your lap and then they might get upset thinking they can and you dont bring them out.
The best part of traveling with them is that they are always with you!! It was so lovely to go away and have part of home with me (well part of me with me, so I was whole-if we leave her home we are ALWAYS thinking about her!)
Best of Luck!

Okay, so can I let her out of her carrier before we board to use a puppy pad?

Will she use it, when she has never used one before?

I am just afraid that she might start whining or barking if she has to go on the plane.

Am I over analizing this?

I flew a 5 hr flight with Faith when she was 10 weeks old. She didnt use the puppy pad. I put one inside her carrier for a just in case thing, took her to the bathroom in the plane 1/2way through the flight, and also took her to the bathroom in the airport when we were @ our connections.

I would say take PLENTY of chew toys, a tiny bit of water and no food. She should be fine :xfngr: Faith also had a snuggle puppy that I had a heating pad and a heartbeat in so she was pretty content

good luck and i'm sure you'll be fine!

:dogwlk:

Back