• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

In heat and off color?

ann

As I have put on a previous post, Ellie has come into her first season.
She is eating normally, and is her usual lively self. She has been potty trained at night for several weeks now. However last week she had wet during the night, and the last few nights she has also pooed and it is very loose. We havn't changed her diet at all so I am wondering if coming on heat has upset her?
She has never slept in a crate, she just sleeps in the kitchen, so it is easy to clean up......
So my question is, has anyone else seen unusual toilet behaivour when there dogs are on heat??
Just to add she is fed around 5pm, and not again until the next day.

Yes, my Scarlett who is normally meticulous in the house has been known to get up on my bed & pee right in the middle of it when she was in season.

As yucky as this might sound, if you find her bed wet in the morning, take a little sniff of it. There is one thing that can be deadly if missed, and that is pyometra. I almost lost one of my girls when she was having a wet bed and I thought she was just peeing in it. Instead it was a terrible discharge that looked just like urine. One day I happened to smell it & I knew straight away she was in strife. Usually they do look sick with this though, but it is something just to be aware of.

Also, urinary tract infection can make them wet their bed.

It probably is just that she is in season but be aware and on the lookout for anything else unusual, just in case. If in doubt, then get a vet to check her over.

lady's in heat at the moment we seem to have gone back to when she was much younger we take her out more often and that stopped any accidents in the house. She makes a little whine and goes to the door when she needs to go out which helps. Which we both praise heavily (saves me getting any poochie bells!)
When she first went into heat she did wet her crate once which she's never done before. I think it must be all the hormones they forget their potty training. But if your concerned then ring your vets i am sure they wouldn't mind talking over your concerns much better to be safe than sorry.

Back