• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How often to use worm and flea treatments

shippers

Our puppy is now 3 1/2 months old. I was just wondering how often puppies should be wormed and how often flea treatment should be used. I used a product called Advocate which I got from the vet which is a wormer and flea treatment in one spot on which I applied about 3 weeks ago. It says apply every 4 weeks. Do I apply every 4 weeks forever? I've been putting this on after her bath each month.

Any advice much appreciated.

That reminds me! I need to worm my dog! :eek:

How does veterinary dewormer differ from worming tablets from the pet shop? I have used both in the past. I didn't know there was a dewormer and flea treatment on the market. I'll look into that one!

Hello Shippers, I live in Southport(y) . My Ellie is 6 months old and I take her to our vet each month to be wormed. They like to weigh her until she is fully grown to give her the correct dose. After that I will do it myself, I think it's every 3 months....:flwr:

My vet recommended worming once a month until six months and every 4 months after that. Not sure what the vet gave her last time but my mum picked up drontal plus from vet's shop for her last time.
I was told that the ones you buy in supermarkets or petstores aren't very effective.Because my dog is a permanent lap dog and in close proximity to my kids, I hope to continue the worming programme .
She scratches a little but I only ever found a flea on her after she was in close contact with a badly groomed Yorkie. I guess we need to eradicate fleas as the play a role in the cycle of worm infection in a dog.
Sins

If I remember rightly, the pet shop wormers don't cover the same number of worms. The cheapest way to get wormers and flea treatments is from a company like www.vet-medic.co.uk. I've use them , often, and they are very reliable.

How often to worm depends upon the trend that is followed in your country. Here in Australia we worm puppies every month until they are 6 months old, and then they are wormed 3 monthly for the rest of their lives. We use a broad spectrum all wormer.

Australia is tick central, so we use Frontline for fleas & ticks every 2 weeks. In areas that do not have ticks, this product would only be applied monthly.

The best one to properly answer this question for you is your veterinarian. Everyone has their own agenda, whether it be from their breeder or from info they have picked up elsewhere. Best to find out from your vet because he knows what the pup is more likely to pick up in your area. I've never seen cases where dogs were automatically dewormed on a schedle, but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't be done in other places.

The advice is to do Frontline every 4 weeks. Depending on where you live and the climate there dictates whether you do that year round or not. I'm in Florida, USA, where we have warm weather all year so that ticks and fleas are not killed out by cold weather. Right now I'm treating my dogs with Frontline Plus monthly, Frontline spray two weeks after application of Frontline Plus and they are wearing Preventic collars because we are having a bad time with ticks this year. But what is right for my animals here may be completely different from where you are.

I'd be interested in knowing what your vet has to say.

Thanks for the advice I will ask my vet on my next visit as I have two applications of 'Advocate' left which will last me two months. I will let you know how I get on.

Vet medic is excellent, when you have two dogs buying Frontline from the vets is really expensive but is about half the price on line. I use Milbemax wormers but these are still only available from the vet, if you buy 3 you get the 4th free. I frontline and worm every 3 months. I have foxes in the garden so my two are exposed to all sorts of fleas and worms.

Agree with Crittercall, you need to worm and flea treat your dog according to the specific risk to your dog in your area. Your vet should know the risk in your area but do some reading around if you can so you have a headstart when you talk to the vet. Ask them what the risk is of different types of worms in your area, if they are unsure ask them to check and make sure they do.

Back