• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Wallis Update

Crittercall

It's been a while, so I thought I'd let you know how the grandma dog of the board did today at her vet visit.

First off, she's lost a bit over 5 pounds. She started out at 35#'s and was at 29.6 today - so we broke the 30 barrier. I'm very pleased with that; that's a lot of weight in dog pounds!

Her fibrosarcoma is about the same. Bubba and I had been discussing it because he tought it looked bigger and I thought it seemed different because of the weight loss and saggy skin. The vet agreed with me. It's still a very vascular thing - about the size of a golf ball. It doesn't seem to bother her.

The anal gland tumor is about the size of the end of his little finger - from the knuckle below the nail up. Since it started out being about the size of a pea it has grown. But recent x-rays show that it hasn't metastasized.

Her heart murmur is worse. She is losing muscle tone. Her rear end is getting wobbly. The vet still doesn't seem to think that she'll last a lot longer. However, as long as she's still chasing those lizards I'm not gonna tell her. He put her on a medication to stop the bladder leakage and cleaned her ears. I asked about taking her for walks to try to regain some muscle tone and he said that would be fine, although she probably won't go far and that I should take a wagon to bring her back home in!

Her U/A was fine. (The real reason we went in was because both Tibby and Sasha have chosen to urinate in front of me in an inappropriate spot so this was a "benefit of the doubt" visit. Sasha's ph was high at 8.6, Tibby's urine was very concentrated but nobody had a UTI. Back to the drawing board!)

Wallis should be getting blood work again next month to check the platelet count and check how her kidneys are doing.

Will update again when we know more.

Donna,

Wallis has done good losing all the weight i cannot even lose that! She really has a fight in her, so happy chasing lizards!!

Keep us up-dated, ye are doing great!!

Hi Donna, I was wondering how Wallis is going. That is a great weight loss! Yeah Wallis, you go chase those lizard till your heart's content. :luv:

oh bless her I'm so sorry that you are dealing with all these issues - it's really tough to have so much going on.

Wallis is one brave wee girl -

The vet still doesn't seem to think that she'll last a lot longer. However, as long as she's still chasing those lizards I'm not gonna tell her.

You are so right...she doesn't have to deal with the emotional side of it like you do, it sounds like she is coping really well and still enjoying a good quality of life, which is what is important.

I hope she will continue to keep well for as long as possible - keep us posted, you are in our thoughts and prayers.

First off congrats on that weight loss! What is a real achievement especially when you are in the midst of managing her other health issues as well. That alone must make her a bit more comfortable.

Then: I am glad to hear you are not seeing anything that has seriously changed downwards though sorry that some things haven't also improved and there are no real answers to so many of your questions -- that is frustrating. She is a tough feisty lady though and seems very happy to chase her lizards in the sun for now. As you say she doesn't know she has all these diagnoses hanging about her so why bother telling her? and sometimes, they just continue to surprise us! As long as her general quality of life is good I'd be doing just as you are. :) I think it is fantastic that you mind her so well. :flwr:

I believe that Wallis is 13. I can never remember for sure. She may be 13 in September, or she may be 14. But after hearing of so many others losing their battle at 10 or so I feel lke she's okay.

Wallis sure sounds like a fiesty gal--bless her heart! They truly live for the day don't they? I could take a lesson or two from little Wallis...

Thanks for the update!

Hugs from me, Wrigley and Mia--:flwr:

You go Wallis! Glad to hear that she is enjoying life. It is so encouraging to hear such good news in spite of the obstacles she faces.

Great job Donna in getting that weight down for her. Did you do it all with diet or did you increase her excercise too. Please share some of your secrets as I have 2 who could benefit.

Aww Donna,

Wallis is such a little love bug :lotsaluv: It makes me happy to hear that she's doing so well. I kept my bordeaux around for years after she had her first tumor. I just let her be and figured as long as she still was rolling in snakes and killing them outside then she was fine. :)

CONGRATULATIONS on the weight loss!!! :w**h**::w**h**: I know it's hard, but you're really improving Wallis' quality of life I am sure and I am sure she's feeling a little better!! She must be good if she's chasing lizards.. speaking of, did you find the lizard intruder from about a week ago?

Whatever the case, she's sure beautiful and I love your new pic. I want a copy of the BIG one asap! so where is it?!? :D

Glad to hear that both Tibby and Sasha are OK - looks like they are just being divas :lol:

Take care :flwr:

what a brave girl wallis is!!! she must get it from her momma....

i'm so happy to hear about her weight loss and that she is still in great spirits. :rah: i agree--just let her keep chasing lizards and shaking those pounds. you look after her so well. is it possible that tibby and sasha were excited about something that you didn't know about? indy 'loses it' sometimes around new dogs or in new situations and pees without thinking. he even peed on his treat bag once during a training class :rolleyes:

thanks for the update

k

Molly, our only "secret" is reduced amount of food. I actually changed her to Eagle Pack at about that time and when the vet said that she didn't need to eat more than 1/2 cup total each day then I went with that and have stuck to it. It was very hard for Bubba at first, and he still gives them all 1/2 a cookie every night.

Because of her heart and lungs, a lot of exercise is out of the question. He said that it would be okay to walk her but I'd better have a wagon to put her in because she would tire quickly and just lay down. And she gets a bit heavy to carry! (Although probably good exercise for me!)

Sorry, Sara, I thought I'd told you the rest of the story about the lizard. You know that first he was in the living room, hiding under a table. The next time I saw him he was heading under the bed in one of the bedrooms. Still no chance to catch him - they're fast!! Then the other night I went into the bathroom across the hall from that bedroom. As I put the seat down (MEN!) I heard a funny noise. I lifted the seat back up and there was Mr. Lizard, clinging to the side just above water level. I went to get Bubba and said I knew I should just "flush" but I couldn't do it. His response was to reach in and get the lizard and put him outside where he should live. Isn't that a good ending?

We really appreciate all the good thoughts and prayers coming our way. And it's a comfort to know that there are so many friends here on CT that care what happens to my girl.

Delighted to hear Wallis has lost the weight and is doing ok. I agree with everything everyone else said, once she's happy and enjoying life and chasing lizards that the important thing.

The biggest problem is the sinking feeling that I have when I hear anything bad, you know? It hurts. I'm glad to see her doing so well and hope she can live to be the oldest Cavalier ever (whatever that is) but I know better.

She does a lot of resting, but she LOVES to go outside!

Sorry I am late on the 'draw' on this thread. I'm thrilled that Wallis is losing weight (albeit in a good way) and that she is in good spirits. I know you're taking fab care of her, Donna! :) Always thinking of you all-Natalie

Back