• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Co Enzyme Q 10

Cathryn

I was looking around on www.cavaliers.co.uk to see what the various health updates where when I stumbled upon a study on Co Enzyme Q10 with relevance to heart disease, there were many case studies of humans who were in advanced stages of heart disease who were supplemented with this enzyme with incredible results. Apparantly more of this enzyme is found in the heart tissue than in any other muscle of the body, it has also been found to be of particular benefit in peridontal cases too. If you want to find the report go over to the main site then click on "Breed Info" and in the sub menu click on "Health Issues", once on the page scroll down the article list and you should find it. Interesting reading indeed, must get a pot in tomorrow!

I've seen references to this before, and would like to get some for my pair, but I still don't know what kind to get. How many mg per tablet? How many tablets per day? Is it appropriate to get them for two young dogs who are still heart-healthy?

No it's not something you would give as a preventative.

I did do some research into this when Peaches had MVD, the cardiologists at Stirling do not recommend it at all.

Other veterinary sources say that it can be used, but it only helps heart muscle, not the valves, so would only be appropriate for later stages of MVD once there is muscle involvement {most human conditions involve heart muscle not valves}. I think the dose is 30mg daily, but would need to check that.

I have always given {natural source - d-alpha tocepherol} Vitamin E 200iu daily to my older Cavaliers - this helps the circulation. Rupert has been on this since he was about 5, and has only just been diagnosed with a low grade murmur at the age of almost 11...

It doesn't work for everyone - I'm sure there are lots of other factors involved, such as genetics, but it is something that might be worth trying, even if they already have a murmur.

Do remember though to take into consideration all the supplements you are giving, to make sure you are not doubling up on anything and therefore going over the recommended dose. If in doubt, please consult your vet.

Back