• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My boys are digging up my garden! help..

effie

Helloee,

I hope you are all well! I have a little dilema i am hoping you might be able to help me with..

Rcently Kasper m 8 month old has decided it would be fun to dig huge deep holes in the grass, Lucas thinks its so much fun he joins in too. I am so surprised as Lucas has never done anything like this before and he is 2 in July. Talk about being led astray!

I read somewhere it might be because they are bored, but they are kept so entertained with each other, have lots of toys and i am home with them all day, i am hoping its not due that. I also read it might be because of fear, but they are soo happy i definately do not think its that.

Does anybody have any ideas..i normally do not mind what they do, but i keep flying down these holes :)

Thanks
effie
xx

I wish I could help! But our puppy has savaged most of my indoor plants, including a large rubber plant and various other smaller ones.I dread to think what she's going to do when I plant bedding plants in the garden.
The only word of consolation I can offer is be thankful that it's not the next door neighbour's garden:xfngr:
Sins

Digging is a natural behaviour and puppies enjoy this even more than adults -- but as you have found a puppy can teach an old dog new tricks too! (that;s thething about adding a second dog -- they do tend to insire each other to each's bad habits as well as good).

I'd certainly try to keep some control over the lawn digging by not allowing them out on their own when you aren't watching. If they start digging I'd distract them to something else. Also you might consider having a digging corner somewhere -- some people put in a small sandbox for the dog. You can hide kongs under the sand for them to discover, or a toy, etc, to make digging especially rewarding in the right place! Praise for digging in the right area, too.

Ah it must be the season for digging. Yes part of it is the sheer joy of digging. It is such fun. :D When you fill in the hole, place a piece of their dropping in there too as this will often deter them from digging in that place again. Sometimes dogs will dig to make a nice cool nest on a hot day. Mine tend to do it at the base of one of my prized plants and they lay in there.

Like Karlin said, you can provide them with their own digging spot... maybe a sand pit. You can bury a few toys in there to get them started, or just dig in there yourself. They will be convinced you've forgotten where you buried your bone, and will have a go at finding it for you. ;)

Thanks so much, ill try to deter them :) The poor lawn..

Kasper is certainly teaching Lucas lots of new tricks..i have never seen him misbehave so much, but between us all its very funny to watch them trying to get upto mischief..especially when i can see them :)

Back