• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Is your dog chipped? are you 'SURE' ???

ann

I took Ellie to be chipped on Monday. I have got a post in ''Health and diet'' under ''Could Ellie be in season '' It will explain what I am talking about here......
This morning she was sat beside me and I was stroking her, and I thought she had a twig or somthing stuck in the hair by her neck. As I touched it, it fell onto the seat and I picked it up to see what it was...
It was the chip:eek: .......I phoned the vet and they said they had never had one come out before!!!!!! Of course they will put another one in, but I said I would wait awhile as I did'nt want to cause Ellie any more pain for a while.....
It has made me wonder how many of our dogs really do still have their chips in place?? How are we to know if they come out.....
I also couldn't believe how BIG the chips were...no wonder the dogs cry poor things :(
chip.jpg

We have the vet test their chips each time we visit. We haven't had one migrate or fail yet (fingers crossed)

Our vet checks the chips periodically too. We usually have them inserted at the time they are neutered. I did think they were about the size of a grain of rice. Do you know what brand that is?

In Ireland puppies must be chipped before they are homed but a lot of breeders are saying they are doing this (as per IKC registration requirements) and vets say there are no chips in many of these pups. :confused:

I like chipping when the dog is under anaesthesia for some other procedure.

It would be quite rare for one to work its way back out. I'd just have it put in again when she is spayed.

Gosh that is a big chip, which make is it? The one's I use are the size of a grain of rice. I have never had a chip come out or migrate since I started chipping back in 2003. I scan mine with my reader about once every 3 months after a bath or grooming session.

I will find out what brand it is for you Molly......I also thought they were about the size of a grain of rice :confused:

OMG, that's HUGE!! I've never seen one that big. I wonder if that's one of those GPS (is it called LOJAC, or something like that?) locators. The ones we see are the size of a grain of rice. That's the first time I have ever heard of one coming out! Unless the vet somehow didn't get it completely implanted to begin with. I just posted on another board about checking chips periodically. Here's what I wrote:

A little off topic, but definately have your dog's chips checked periodically. When our puppy people drop off their dogs for dogsitting, we try to remember to check that the chip is working. Well, for the first time ever, a couple months ago we couldn't get a reading on a 6 month old we had bred. We went all over that dog thinking that it may have migrated. We checked our own dogs to be sure our scanner was working. Couldn't get a thing. Took the dog to our vet, she couldn't find one either and inserted a new chip free of charge.

We chip all our puppies before they leave for their forever home. What we do for the pain is have the vet put a little topical anesthetic at the injection site. They will many times cry a little, but it isn't the scream I have heard others talk about.

My goodness, that is enormous! :yikes

The ones our dogs have are smaller than a grain of rice. It is mandatory in Australia for our dogs to be chipped before going to their new homes, so most dogs have them. I've heard of them migrating a bit but never of one coming out. Our vets periodically check to make sure they are still present.

When our Boxers were done (before it was mandatory) we fed them pieces of cheese while the vet put them in and the Boxers didn't even make a peep... they just kept chomping on their treats. We weren't present when the Cavaliers got done as that was organised by their breeders, but they said the puppies only gave a little peep when it went in.

To be sure though, if our dogs had to have one that size put in, I'd be wanting in done under an anaesthetic or at least with the dog partially sedated. That looks like it sure would hurt.

my cats are chipped and the vet re-checks them each time they go in for a check-up.... i also sent up a time to bring them to a local shelter to have the shelter scan them since i know that at one time there was an issue with some vets using a brand chip that didn't read on all scanners.... the shelter could read them just fine so i was happy. my female cat's did migrate a little (about 4 inches) but still able to be found.

good luck with your new chip. i would also ask you vet about the size of it too as it does seem rather huge.

My vet gave Henry a little local anaesthetic injection before chipping him at 10 weeks and he was fine...no squealing or screaming. I thought that was a simple and kind thing to do, and saved having to wait until he was neutered to have it done under anaesthetic. I was glad to chip early for his safety.

However, a few weeks ago I felt a little hard thing under his skin at the top of his leg, this is about 6 months after he was chipped. It felt like maybe just a little bigger than a grain of rice end to end, longer than I had thought chips were but I felt fairly sure it was the chip. Anyway we popped him to the vet and they confirmed that it was the chip. It had migrated to just below the top of his leg. But they reassured me that it was still easy to find on scanning and that it would not migrate any further.

From then on I decided to have the vet scan both dogs for their chips maybe once a year at their booster time...just to make sure all is well.

You were lucky to find the chip or it could have been ages before you knew it hadn't gone in properly..or maybe it worked its way out before it got properly bedded in.

Last edited:
Lia didn't even say a "peep" when she was microchipped. She has the microchip because I touch it on her neck on the left.
I had never seen a microchip! is huge!

The chip is called a Tracer and made by Petlog.....The kennel club pet identification service.....
I had a word at the vets today and they said that it was just a normal size:confused: ..... Anyway I am going to wait until she is spayed in 3 months to get it done again .....

that is so big OMG!! i am going to get the vet to check there chips, the next time they are in!

Back