• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Weird digging?

nursejess80

Do any of you have a pup that just suddenly starts digging like crazy no matter where they are?? Ruby will start just crazily digging on my bed, on the couch, on the floor, just anywhere. It can be a pain because my arm has unfortunately be in "the spot" before and it was clawed as well. She seems like she's desperate to find something, and I can't figure out what triggers it. Anyone know what this might be?? Is my dog just weird?

She's checking for snakes! :badgrin: Just kidding!

Yeah mine do this too. I think in part it is just a joyous thing to do and in part they smell things we can't, so a dropped crumb deep in the lounge chair turns pooch into Indianna Jones. It is just such a natural thing for a dog to do... to dig. Take a look at those toenails.

If it is somewhere that I don't want Beau to dig I just distract him with a toy. He is so easily distracted. Plush Teddy usually attacks him, so he has to stop digging so he can attack back. ;)

Cleo does this as well. She does it when she really wants to play, so if we don't start playing catch immediately (as we're ironing or something) she goes gets the zoomies and runs all over the house like a loop the loop!

Sometimes it looks like he's trying to make his 'nest' comfortable! Like he dogs all around and then lies down (usually on my bed!)

Jaspar is my main digger -- in couches, on beds etc. Soemtimes he his fluffing things up into a nest, but other times he just seems to want to get at something or is having a great time. I try to stop it on the couch so he doesn't scratch it but... all part of the joys of owning animals; they do have their dog behaviours! The best you can do is to discourage it where you don;t want it and redirect the activity to something you prefer (eg a chew toy).

Freddie does this on the couch and both him & bax do it in there beds, i would think as karlin said that it is normal dog behaviour!

So happy to have found this old post!
I've gotten used to Sophie "digging" to make her bed more comfortable, even going at a corner of her pen in search of stray kibble, but it became worrisome when she recently started digging my leg, sofa, carpet or just about anywhere else in the apartment.:eek:

Along with a little last minute chewing of whatever is closest to her nose, I guess it's just part of her pre-sleep routine?:lpy:

...I guess it's just part of her pre-sleep routine?:lpy:

Yes, from the primal wild dogs who wanted to fluff up the grass (or whatever) that was their bed, to make it softer. Much like we plump up our pillow when we go to bed. :)

Bella does this too, when she goes to bed, she "fluffs" her blanket in her crate, if she is sleeping on the sofa with me, she does it there too! Then plops down and goes to sleep! She is so funny when she does it, so serious. I love their silly antics! Cavs are the best doggies ever!:rah:

Ben my yorkie does this all the time! I think its the funniest thing to watch - sometimes he will try to bury a piece of food or a toy on my wooden floors - he digs and digs and then puts the toy in the corner and then with his nose he mimicks pushing mud over the toy! it is so cute and funny and he actually seems shocked when i walk over and pick up the thing he has "burried" its as if he is saying "how did you know that was there i spent twenty minutes burrying it"!!!!!!

Dogs are meant to dig its a natural instinct and even though Ben isnt outside he makes up for it indoors!

I know of a dog who has SM and when having pain episodes, will dig frantically at the sofa or the bed. :(

Back