• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavies & Cats????

gwynny18

Hello. Does anyone have a Cavvy that gets along with a cat? I have a 7 year old female...Gwynny....and she does not seem to be enjoying the new kitten we rescued! She looks at him as if he is a squirrel...and wants to eat him...she has tried to bite him...but im a good supervisor! The kitten is only 5 1/2 weeks old...and cannot defend himself yet. I know Gwyn would love him..I just dont know how to get her to try. She is very stuborn...and VERY smart...and truly believes that no cat, duck, lizard, bird, racoon, or any other living animal should be in her line of sight!! She has never caught one...id like to think she is playing. But with her...she has that look in her eye, and that one track mind!

I don't have cats but I know a lot of people here do. I think sometimes it just takes a while for the existing animals to realise that the new one is now a part of the family. We have many wild birds here & my dogs will all leave them alone while they come up onto the veranda to feed, steal their food & drink out of their water. Actually, when I am outside I am usually followed by a line of 2 Boxers, 2 Cavaliers & 4 Purple Swamp Hens.

Give it time and as you are very sensibly already doing, only allow them together supervised until it is sorted. Try rewarding your dog too when he shows even the slightest kindness towards the kitten.

PS When I was growing up we had a cat & a dog, and they both slept together & were the very best of mates.

We got 3 kittens when Bailey was 9 months old. It took a few weeks for them to get used to each other, and Bailey will still bark and growl at them if the go near his food or bed (mind you its ok if he steals their food lol). Now they will even sit near each other no problems. I have to admit it was a tense first week, I didn't trust Bailey not to snack on one of them.....but it all ended up fine.

most important.... never allow them alone until you trust them both completely....but it sounds likes your already doing that! second, it will take some time. if you have a room that you can make the"cat" room, put the cat litter adn food adn most toys in there and put up a baby gate with a gap at the bottom that is big enough for the kitten to run under but not big enough to let the dog through. as the kitten gets older, put the gate on the ground, so the cat can jump over it to get away from the dog if need be. this allows the cat a "safe haven" where she knows the dog isn't allowed. it helps the cat feel more secure. it also keeps the dog away from the cat litter box (YUCK!!!) as already mentioned... reward any behavior where the dog ignores, or reacts positively to the cat. make sure you are not ignoring the dog for the new cat. they may not become the best of friends but they SHOULD eventually co-exist, although some dogs can never live with cats.

also, i would recommend that cat stays an indoor only cat, not only for his/her own safety, but it may be easier to teach the dog, no chasing the cat if he is always inside, as opposed to being outside, llike squirrels adn birds adn such.

good luck!

I've never had it this way around, my mum brought home a Cav pup to an adult cat. The adult cat, well, she didn't like other cats whatsoever but she looked after the puppy until he realised how much fun it was winding her up. He used to do what I called his walrus impression, opening his mouth above her & making a weird "uuuuuuugh" noise. In my experience, they get a long only because cats can get out of the way when the dog gets too much. Kittens with very sharp claws & older dogs, I am not too well up on..

Happy to say

Hi all. Well its been a full week now! And we are so happy to say that Gwynny and Smooshy are getting along! I really didnt think it would happen...She really looked like she wanted to eat him. I definitely wouldnt say she loves him! She tolerates him...at that! He better not come near her food (yes she eats his), and he better not play with mommys make-up(she has to sit nicely with me, then so does the kitty...and not try to play with everythig!), and she still gets territorial with my lap sometimes....she lets him sit with us, but sometimes she plays alpha dog. Oh and....she is still her grumpy self in the mornings...she got that from me so i cant blame her!!! The kitty is now allowed to sleep in bed with us, but CERTAINLY NOT ON HER PILLOWS!!!! I think with time, they will become closer. Now I have to make her understand that she can play with the kitty...just not eat him!

She'll love him

My sister has a 5 year old Cav and she brought a kitten and the same thing happened, it just looked like charlie (her cav) wanted it for breakfast.

Once the kitten was about 2 and a bit months old, they would run around the house all day and play! They love eachother now, they even curl up infront of the fire together!:luv:

I had two cats when Scout came to live with us, now there is only one left. She would still chase him if I allowed it. I just keep a close eye on her. Alex (the cat) is very docile and will not defend himself. He just lets Scout push him over. Most of the time I just have to 'give her the look' and she backs off.

As far as growling at the kitten when he is near her food. I'd be careful of that one. When I first brought Scout home she was defensive of her food dish. I would tell her...no growl.. She stopped after a day or two. She is still protective of her toys and chewies. If Alex or Breeze comes too close she will growl. Well I should say used to. I tell her Scout no growl. If she does I take the item away. I'm the only one in my house that is allowed to growl at anyone or anything!!! LOL

To be honest, we almost took Howie back to the rescue when we got him because the first 48 hours were rough! Izzy wanted to eat him and he hid behind the refridgerator the whole time.

But as time went on everyone became used to each other, now they are all best buds.:winkct:

Good luck in you dog and cat adventures! :flwr:

Heloee,

We have two cats..Henry and Chloe..and we introduced Lucas to them first and then Kasper last year. Chloe is a little dubious..she has told them off a few times if they get too close..now they are all fine..

They all know their own space which is lovely..

Mind you the monkeys (Lucas & Kasper) both lie very close when both cats are eating and are ready to pounce the moment anything is dropped on the floor..so that is always a little tricky :)

Take Care
effie
x

All nice stories

Hi all. Its slowly getting better...i think. Its only been a couple of weeks so ill be patient. Cant wait til they are good friends!

We have two cats and two dogs...everyone gets along although our one cat is 14 and has the "old and crabby" attitude! The younger cat, at 7 years, plays with both dogs, it's cute to watch. :)

Back