• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How to train on off leash?

Donna27

Is there a good way to train a pup to be off leash? I assumed just going to a secluded field or dog park and working on "stay" and "come", but then I've read articles that say that Cavaliers are a breed that really isnt good at being off leash. One said that because Cavaliers are "fearless" they dont understand cars and what not, and that they should always be on leash at all times...Fiona escaped out our backdoor once and ran accross the street into the arms of this kind old woman, and I'm just terrified that if I tried to walk her off leash she'd run away.

I love the way articles use the word ''fearless'' when they mean 'dumb' :D

Mine don't get off lead that often. Cody is fine if we're on the move but if we're sitting in a park or talking to people she tends to just potter off having a sniff and plays totally deaf. Abigail is the opposite, she's fine if we're just hanging around with a group or sitting under a tree but once we start down a trail or path she's less reliable, once she feels the wind in her ears she'll just run and run:rolleyes:

Have to admit that Cavaliers and cars simply DO NOT mix, once they have their sights set on something or some-one they are pretty tunnel visioned sadly :(

On a happier note Cavaliers also LOVE to obey humans so I would find a quiet corner to work in to start off with and work up from there!!

I'd never trust ANY breed or mix of dog off lead near traffic. Even the most obedient and well trained dog can have that one time it is absolutely tempted by a cat, a bird, a squirrel, someone it knows across the street, a female in heat, a scent, who knows. If the most well trained competitor dogs at Crufts occasionallyu will go wandering during competition, the chances are that a pet will head off and it could be the time a car is coming from the wrong direction.

Cavaliers seem particularly bad around cars. Mine would very happily walk directly into the street if not on lead and often get distracted by things. Even Jaspar, who is excellent on recall (about 99% reliable) has that 1% and he has BOLTED to run towards somewhere he really wans to go -- generally a creek or the pond he likes to swim in.

So I would never think of even trying to walk them off lead within running distance of traffic.

But teaching recall is extremely important because your dog needs to know to come back when called and also most dogs can be trusted to walk in safe areas far from traffic offlead once trained (I always have mine off lead for a mile or two walk in the park, and they won't wander at all; they will always return when they meet other dogs, etc. But I do have to be cautious nearing areas where they like to swim and put them back on lead then). If you search here there are many threads on how to do this. It takes time -- best to start in the house or garden and using a long lead and work up from there.

Recall is the thing that Beau & I are having trouble mastering. He is wonderful at home where there are no distractions but at puppy obedience we are at the bottom of the class in this area. My teacher just keeps saying "oh he's a Cavalier!" :lpy: So it seems in her mind at least, Cavaliers are not the best at recall. Still we are working on it.

I will never let any of my dogs walk off leash near a road. My Boxers are super obedient but I just won't take the chance. I really can't see the point and it is that once in a million chance that gets a dog killed.

Anyway, when you guys have figured out the best way to get a Cavalier to recall let me know. :D

Back