• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Toys for a pup?

Sarah J

Hi All,

I'm just about to get my very first Cav, and a proud owner I will be. But I was wondering what kind of toys to get her, I've had other kinds of puppies before (staffies, golden retrievers etc) But never had a Cav.

What are good toys? And what ones should I avoid?

-Sarah:D

hi there, when we first got lucy we were the same, but we got her a little kong, lots more of the long lasting rubber toys too, also a rope toy one of the things we also got her was a nyla bone(its good for keeping the teeth clean)
all the toys purshased have been well chewed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D

My cav isn't very picky at all! Especially at this older puppy stage, he just wants to "kill" everything!!!! :lol:

The Nylabone puppy keys are a great investment, always a fun toy to play with!

Rope bones are fun but not recommended to be left alone with. Though I must admit I have a couple of times :eek:

Kongs are definately great! You can fill them up with food and their tough, bouncy and cool looking :p

Soft toys are good if you don't have a shredder! Ollie just likes to kill them.

Ollie doens't break his toys, their all quite intact from when we got him around 5 months ago. I can not garuantee this with every cav though!! :)

Good luck, don't worry I'm sure your pup will love all the toys, most puppys will! :D

My cavaliers, and the majority owned by people on another forum, have never liked rubber toys, prefering fluffy ones. Critters (fur coverd ball with a squeaky tail) were a real favourite, leading to two being exported to Soth Africa, but they have become hard to obtain, since Pets at Home stopped stocking them.

Avoid any thin plastic squeaky toy (advertised 'for the smaller dog' but very easily chewed up ) and anything with plastic eyes or nose, or even those toys with prominent fabric eyes.

Ball on a rope or raggers are fine , but only when you are present. Last year a cavalier puppy died after swallowing some of the strands from a rope. Also, regularly check the seams of any fluffy toy.I noticed that, after a machine wash, one of our Critters was coming uppicked, exposing the squeaker.

Mine loves his cuddly duck, a tug thing with balls on the end and bits of cloth sticking out. He has a nylabone but never bothers with it. A soft squeaky ball. But his favourite is an empty 2lt plastic bottle and paper.

Congrats on when you get your new puppy.:D

Actually my mum found a squeeky rubber giraffe toy at her work and brought it home. We washed it and gave it to Ollie and it's his new favourite toy! Really, he'll accept anything.

Chester is a chewer as well. He loves fluffy toys but they dont last very long.

He has one favourite one that he just has at bed times & when we are now around & that seems to survive but eveything else is killed within minutes.

I do have to remove the squeeky bits as soon as I can though as it seems to be his game to chew through the toy to try & find them!

hi finn has a lot of toys but his favorite is a tiger teddy my daughter gave him. he has a sqeaky bone, ragger (he loves this) balls and a same teddy bear. He loves the empty toilet roll holder :D

Don't forget to post picture when you get her:D

Lots of dogs like Kongs and they keep them occupied and puppies out of trouble. (there's a lot of watching you have to do as they love to play with everything!!).

Lucky likes Kongs, but he prefers the Pet Stages focus ball - I put a Nutro biscuit inside it and he loves to work to get the treat out. In the beginning it would take him hours. Now he usually has it out in 5 minutes max.

http://www.petstages.com/toyprod.asp?case=106

He's also got other stuffed toys, rope toys. He likes to chew on these but tends to demolish them. He'll fetch the Hartz stuffed Geese if I throw them.

Our Elvis prefers soft, cuddly things. Unfortunately, now that he's grown up he'll chew them until the guts fall out... which doesn't take long anymore. Beauregrad seems to prefer rubber toys, or any kind of ball. He chews too, but not to excess like Elvis.

When they were small they LOVED the rope thingies that both could tug on, and they were 'safe' for quite awhile before Elvis got good at untying them.

We have a small, hard rubber ball with a bell in it that they both go nuts for that's lasted a long time.

Another point: be sure that any balls are too large to get lodged in the back of your dog's throat. A Pyranean, from an obedience school I went to, choked to death on a too small ball, in the time it took his owner to make a very quick toilet visit.

Thankyou!

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou! For all of your wonderful toy ideas. I am in Australia, and some of the toys you have mentioned I cant get, but I can definatly find a kong (which alot of you have suggested are great) and I already brought her a superflex nyla-bone. (looking for Nyla-bone keys...?)

Please keep sending me ideas because i'm very interested in what everyone has to say!

Thanks guys!

I don't know about everybody else, but all the store-bought squeekies, balls, stuffed and rubber toys don't hold a candle to the joy and fun my cav has with an empty water bottle. She goes absolutely ape over them and doesn't have a problem with my older Brittany stealing them from her because he doesn't get what all the fuss is about. He actually watches her in bewilderment when she is chasing that bottle all over the floor and yard.

Bentley just loves his big plush stuffed toys.....he doesn't rip them up or tear them apart, and he plays with them and sleeps with them...he's just nuts about them. Also some kind of safe chew toy too (I don't give rawhides). But Bentley adores those fluffy fleece toys. :D

I don't know about everybody else, but all the store-bought squeekies, balls, stuffed and rubber toys don't hold a candle to the joy and fun my cav has with an empty water bottle. She goes absolutely ape over them and doesn't have a problem with my older Brittany stealing them from her because he doesn't get what all the fuss is about. He actually watches her in bewilderment when she is chasing that bottle all over the floor and yard.

maggie's latest craze has been about empty water bottles too!!! she goes crazy over them!!!! and when she was little, she went nuts over ice cubes...

to the original poster, in addition to what everyone else said... i'd recommend alot of teething toys. i really like the ones by Planet Dog. here's a link to their puppy toys: http://www.planetdog.com/puppy.asp - the orbee-tuff bones are gentle on their teeth and they're minty to cool their achy gums.

petstages toys are really great too. if they aren't available where you are, try getting them online. we have a bunch of their teething toys (great when frozen) and their interactive toys keep maggie pretty busy.

maggie's latest craze has been about empty water bottles too!!! she goes crazy over them!!!! and when she was little, she went nuts over ice cubes...

Haha! Maybe it's cavs named Maggie, as that is the name of my sweet girl. And she LOVES ice cubes!

Sarah,
My girls love anything made by Dr. Noys Toys. The toys are tiny, fluffy animals that have replaceable squeakers. The get carried around like a baby's pacifier. You can find them at some PetSmarts and they are available through several on line stores.

Good luck with your new baby!

JaneB

Back