• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

answering email

Scouty girl

I just have a general question....I emailed a reputable breeder (a name that I got off this site, someone who is within driving distance to me) two weeks ago. I know that they are very busy and don't always have time to answer emails quickly.

What do you all think is a reasonable time to give someone to answer an email? I feel as if two weeks is long time, but of course I could be totally wrong. I was looking to add a puppy in two years. I know this sounds like a long time, but I wanted to get started early so I could plan ahead. I'm fairly sure my email will not be answered.

In my email I included a little about myself and the 'family' I have now and past pets I've owned. I'm not really sure what a breeder would be looking for from me. I added that I didn't care what color was available at the time, but I did prefer a female for a pet of course.

When I was looking for my first Cavalier, I emailed and called several breeders. One called back once but no return calls after that (I guess I don't interview well, I'm not sure), no return emails. Then unfortunately I ended up going to (unknown at the time) a backyard/puppymill breeder. I absoutely don't want to do that again.

So far Scout is very healthy, though she is only 13 months old. I want to make sure that I purchase as healthy of a puppy that I can for the puppy's sake.

I would certainly take any critiscism or information that is offered me as to the way I am approaching the situation. :flwr:

I would telephone and not email. A good breeder will keep YOU on the phone for ages. My phone bill was massive when I was looking! Who has the patience to wait two weeks for a reply? Not me!!

I would email again, it maybe that they have trouble getting online at the moment, or maybe if you have their number you could give them a call?
I get enquiries from time to time and have to admit I prefer to talk to people on the phone, you can get a better idea of the kind of person they are, you can hear them getting excited when you start describing a puppy to them!

Don't give up hope, approach as many breeders as you can, get on as many lists as you can too, another tip is to get to some of the nearby shows and actually talk to some of the breeders and see if they keep a waiting list?

Hope this is of help? Good Luck in your search for your next baby, there is a puppy out there with your name on it, you just have to be patient and persistant!!

I can't speak for other breeders, but here is Kris and my take on this. Let me start by saying that 90% of the dog stuff is done by Kris, so when I say "we", it's probably more correctly Kris.

We average probably 15 to 20 e-mail inquiries per week about puppies lately, in addition to literally hundreds of other dog related e-mails. We try to respond to the puppy e-mails, but I'm sure that occasionally a few fall through the cracks. Also, Kris is gone to dog shows a lot and that will many times slow things down. There also seems to be more inquiries about puppies this time of the year, so sometimes it takes Kris longer to respond.

I really think you are approaching this the right way by including information about yourself and what you are looking for. Based on the lack of response you got from e-mailing, you may want to try calling the breeders. Sometimes we get to returning phone calls faster than we do e-mails because it just plain takes so much time to sort through the e-mails.

Good luck in your search for a puppy. I'm sure it will all work out for you. I would like to also add that you are the kind of person reputable breeders look for because you are so concerned about health and buying from the right person. Hang in there!

The month of May seems to be the month that I get 3-5 phone calls/ week and many times that in emails. So, if you really think that is a possible breeder you'd like -- try again. Try to put a little of yourself in the email. I HATE "do you have pups-- how much".

Pauline, Cathryn, Bruce and Sandy,

Thank you all so much for your input. It seems as if I need to place a phone call. I've worked for a large phone company for 26 years and still hate talking on the phone, go figure.

I will however, make the call(s). Bruce, thanks for the kind words I really do care about all dogs and their health. I would take them all in if only I could afford it. Sandy, luckily I didn't ask those two questions. I've learned what not to put into emails and talk about to breeders from the kind people on this board. I know they are expensive and I'm willing to pay for a healthy puppy. Thanks again.

I have to admit I am not great at emailing and can be very slow to return mail :(

so a phone call is easier

Within rescue I too am slow to reply to emails though I do try. People send me applications and I file them but I usually forget in amongst everything else to drop a note back to say thanks for the application. I often cannot say any more than that as I don't know what dogs will be available and sometimes I know I probably won't home to the applicant -- but it all depends.

I HATE "do you have pups-- how much".

Ditto here. Especially when they ask for a puppy and I tell people clearly on my rescue site that I don't ever have puppies (where they HAD to go to get the application -- so clearly they could not even be bothered to read the information there before sending an application!). I regularly get emails that say little more than 'what dogs do you have, I'd like to get a dog this weekend' and 'I'd like a puppy, can I come see your dogs.' When I email back to go read the site and fill out an application I never get an application back from such people, though! :rolleyes:

The emails I always respond to are the ones where people might explain a little about themselves and why they are interestedin a cavalier.

But remember most people also have another life in addition to breeding or homing dogs and so things do fall through the cracks even when you are trying tokeep up. :)

Back