• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Help is it a hernia!!!!!

Chelsealove

Hey Guys,

I am the proud mum of a beautiful 9 week old Cav Chelsea Cheesecake. However I am a bit worried as she has a lump on her tummy (bellybutton area). I am worried that this is a hernia? I was looking through the owner and puppy photo's and saw a puppy being held by her mum and she too had a bump on her tummy. Is it normal for little girl Cav's to have a lump on their tummies? I am taking her to the vet tomorrow to be safe. But thought someone on this site may have some advice also?

Bright Blessings!
Chelsea's Mum

It sounds like it could be a hernia, but your vet will be able to tell you for sure. If it is, don't get too fretfull as they are easily repaired & often done at the same time as the spaying (if it is being done).

like caraline said, it sounds like an umbilical hernia but the vet will tell you for sure. indy had one and i thought it was an 'outie' bellybutton until the vet told us what it was :rolleyes: it's no problem. indy's was fixed when he got neutered and it was a very simple procedure including a couple of stitches.

k

:thnku: So I guess its Just what i thought :(

So was the neutering operation major? i will get Chelsea neutered, can you tell me when this should be done and if the recovery is lengthy. I hate forcing major surgery on my baby :cry*ing:

Alot of dog's get spayed (desexed) it's not a major surgery. She should be in and out of the vets in one day :) when the vet spays her they can just simply remove her umbilical hernia all at the sam time. She will probabley need to take it easy for a few day's until the stitches are ready to be removed.

Freddie has that lump on his belly area as well, the vet said that it could develop into a hernia but it never has, i was told to just watch it!

If it is a bump and you cannot feel a kind of hole there, then this is really very normal with this breed. Many, maybe most, cavalier puppies start with hernias that heal over and also get kind of absorbed in -- they can really sick out initially and then totally vanish by the time they are 6 months plus. The very few that remain open do often need surgery and this is generally done at the same time as a neuter. Most vets don't want to operate anyway til they are over 6 months hence it coincides generally with when people neuter.

My 8 month old puppy has a hernia. When the vet saw him, we were told it was 'medium sized' and would need an operation in the future.

However, it did not grow with him and looks ever so tiny now. It's not even worth operating on!

I think it might have been my picture you saw holding Bella - her hernia is pretty noticeable in the one pic. If you pups bump looks like that it is most likely a hernia. I'm told its not a big deal so I wouldn't worry about it!

Yes it was Bella that I noticed the hernia on - it looks exactly like Chelsea's. Im glad it isn't a big deal and now know it is very common in Cav's so Im not worried. Your photo's are soooo beautiful - thanks for your reply.

Hello!

Sounds like an umbilical hernia to me, these are caused when the ring of muscle around the umbilical cord fails to tighten and shut the gap after the stump falls off, some people believe they are caused by the Mum pulling too hard on the cord when the pups are born, but I have had pups delivered by c-section that have had them so that isn't strictly true.

As a rule of thumb if you can't feel a hole behind it or push it back in (I know sounds gross!) then it is nothing to worry about!

Here in the UK we are supposed to tell our new puppy owners about these things and even declare them on the receipt with the new owner signing to say this has been brought to their attention and that they have been given advice about it too. So I am a little surprised that your breeder did not draw your attention to this!!

Hope this has been of help?

Hello Puppy Pals,

I took Chelsea to the vet on Saturday and he advised that it is normal and that she is perfectly fine - all of your advice was spot on. My vet said that it will be fixed up when she is de sexed. I have felt the lump and there is no hole so I am relieved.

Thank you all for your excellent advice!!

:snap: I will post more photo's of my Chelsea Cheesecake soon.

Laurie (Chelsea's Mum)

Back