• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Siâne 9th birthday

Davy

Today is SiânE fourth rehoming day and so her ninth birthday. :rah:

I know it s not a lot compared to other dogs in this section but to me I’m jumping up and down.

When I first took SiânE on I knew that as diabetic would shorten her life but as I read up more on cavalier my heart sank. I never thought in a million years that I would be celebrating her fourth year with me and her ninth birthday (I was dealing at the time with a cushing/diabete dog that was very unstable}.

Her diabetes has remained stable, her heart mummer has gotten worst but to see her you would not know anything is wrong. She takes everything in good grace. :cool:

She has to be one of the best things that came into my life. I won’t go into details but I have always felt that there was a reason she came to me and I always count myself lucky that she is here with me. :lotsaluv:

She came to me (I thing by cloak and dagger) and if the head vet had known about her, he told me he would have put her down. Four years on I really want to give him a few hand signals. I feel diabetes is no longer a disability, so they can no longer be considered a reason to put a dog down as they cope so well with it. Even unstable ones.

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0005T.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

Oh I just adore that sweet girl! What a heartwarming story. Happy birthday Siane....9 is indeed a big reason to celebrate!!!:rah:

:hppybdy: :hppybdy: Siane

Davy what a wonderful story! 9 years! I wish you both many more joyful years ahead. :D

Thanks guys :flwr:

Took SiânE for a long walk down to the pet shop and stocked up on her pigs ears and a few bully sticks.

Then treated her to a bus ride back (she loves busses). With all that walking I thought it only fare to let her have a bully stick when we got back.

I just like to also say a big thank you to this board, it’s the little hints and tips that have made a different to her life, like giving her live yogurt have helped so much. She no longer gets bladder infections anymore (touch wood) and broccoli stems are a big favourite with her.

She has such a lovely expression-ful face and what a great story. I didn't realise she had been nearly condemned! :shock: I agree so strongly that many of these illnesses are manageable, some quite easily. I have rehomed a diabetic dog, also very stable, to a very loving family who adore him -- often it is simply a matter of gradually adjusting insulin dosage to 'get it right'.

I have learned from doing rescue work and being around rescue folks that there's good, often excellent quality of life with many things that are considered a reason to pts by others -- blindness, deafness, diabetes, loss of a limb, feline HIV, feline leukemia, syringomyelia, heart issues, curly coat, cushings... yes with many of these afflictions, the dog's or cat's time may come earlier rather than later, and our role is to be as wise as we can in recognising that time, but also with many, the dog may lead a longer and fuller life than many other dogs or cats! And there are great rewards in sharing a life with these animals too. I've found it very humbling to live with a dog (likely, two) with SM, a deaf dog, a cat with feline HIV and a three legged cat. I wouldn't waver at all now in taking on the special needs furries -- they bring special rewards even when theirlife IS brief. :)

I am so glad you and Siane found each other -- what a lovely match that has been on both sides! And 9 is a venerable age for a cavalier. :)

Back