• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

"Humping"

Emma n Renco

Hi everyone, sorry for the title but it is the best way I can put it. Since the day we got Harvey enjoyed humping his cuddly sheep but it was never more than play and the actions. But last night much to our horror he actually took this one step further and was fully aroused and finnished the job rather than just the normal play. I know I sound completely naeve but does anyone else with a male dog have this display? Is it a frequent thing? I know it is nature ha ha but I really hate seeing my fur baby - or fur adolescent doing this and am hoping it is just a one of phase. If we have him 'chopped' does that reduce his sex drive? Helppppp :)

:rotfl: I know I am mean for laughing, but I guess I've just got a rather bent sense of humour. Many people are uncomfortable seeing their little animal behaving like a little animal.

Humping is normal and lots of pups & adolescents do it. I'm no expert, but I do think most grow out of it eventually when their hormones settle down & yes neutering can help. Humping is kind of two fold, there is the sexual aspect to it, but it is also a domination thing, and your little bloke is probably just making sure the Sheepie doesn't become the alpha.

If you find it distasteful you can probably distract him with another toy.... errr... maybe something a little less comfortable.

Ha ha thank you for your reply, I am very shocked that it bothered me so much but as we have our first puppy we are a bit over analysing his behaviour. I am thinking I have some sex crazed maniac on my hands while Renco is on the other side of the room creasing over laughing saying "go on my son" I think I will leave him with his sheep as I really prefer that than my leg.... :) thank you for the reassurance.........

Marly still does it given the opportunity, he is now 1 yrs old.
(And he neutered @ 6 months)

If he sneaks away and starts 'Humping' his larger toy dogs, sometimes he whole manhood pops out - which I can tell you isn't a pretty sight !!!

Diversion therapy is the best way to stop your little dog doing it.

I know! that's what shocked me so much - the whole manhood thing! Yuk. ha ha, was just talking to a colleague about it and think this story is making many people smile today. She can't stop laughing at my ignorance to dog habits. Ah well, it is all a learning curve. :)

Hi ,
I have a male tri who is nearly four he humps his blanket most days. We also have a male blenhim who is 5 months and he likes to hump his teddy ..

Back