Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harvey 19/05/06 - 27/08/06

Post Thanks / Like

Default Harvey 19/05/06 - 27/08/06

I just wanted to remember my beautiful blenheim cavvie puppy Harvey. I bought him from a local breeder at 10 weeks old. For the first few days he appeared happy and healthy but then developed a nasty cough, although I had been careful to keep him from other dogs. I assumed it was kennel cough and took him to the vets for antibiotics. It didn't clear and he rapidly dropped weight, I took him to the vets every couple of days after that for antibiotic and steroid injections. I spoon fed him baby food as that was all he could cope with eating. The vet did a chest x-ray. His chest cavity was full of fluid, he was given water tablets and scheduled for a heart scan.

Unfortunately he didn't make it that far, at just 14 weeks he took a turn for the worse, I rushed him to the vet in the early hours of the morning, they did all they could but he passed away at 6am. The vet said he had a serious heart problem.

We console ourselves that despite the medical treatment, for those 4 weeks we had him we loved him so much and he was happy. He had lots of cuddles and he fought so hard to live. It is awful seeing those cavvie brown eyes pleading with you to help them.

I got another puppy a few days later who we love so much - Taz. I got a black and tan as I didn't want him to look too much like Harvey.

Post Thanks / Like

I am so sorry about Harvey

There is a Doggie Heaven
    Way up there in the sky,
    Where my puppy is an angel,
    Who is learning how to fly.

He sleeps beside my Father,
    And plays in pastures green,
    He lives with happy children
    the way it should have been

My tears are all dried now,
    And my sadness laid to rest,
    For the time we had together,
    I know I had been blessed.

In dreams we play together
    As he licks my face with glee,
    My bed is our bridge united,
    Where fantasies are set free.

I feel him close beside me now,
    It's not just my imaginings,
    The softness that I feel inside,
    Is the Whisper of Puppy Wings.

Aileen and the gang (Jazzie---Barney---Sam)
    Last edited by matties mum; 3rd June 2007 at 07:27 PM.
    cavaliers at the bridge Mattie and Rocky & Sam & Jake
    Better to light a candle for one lost dog than to curse the darkness of man's indifference. Saving just one dog won't change the world but it surely will change the world for that one dog.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am so sorry you had such a sad and difficult experience wth Harvey. It sounds like this was something he was born with; it is such a shame his life was so brief and must have been a great worry for you. I am glad you have a second cavalier now to be of comfort.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

What a sad experience. Getting a new puppy is supposed to be filled with joy and fun not so much sadness. I'm glad you were able to love him for what little time he had. And I'm so glad Taz has been able to help heal your heart.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Harvey

I am so so sorry to read about your baby Harvey.

It just seems so unfair that he had to leave you so soon.

I lost my Annabel today, and feel so down, but at least I know she had a long life so I cannot complain.

God bless tiny Harvey,

Bianca
    Lady Vivaine of Camavon, (Annabel) 19th July 1991 - 4th June 2007

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Oh how terrible...

What a heart wrenching story.... it brought tears to my eyes. I can't imagine what a terrible time that must have been experiencing the end so close to the beginning. At least Harvey was surrounded by love in his short and difficult time. Thinking of you...
    Emma and Renco Harvey & Bella's mum & dad

Post Thanks / Like

I am so very sorry to hear about Harvey, he had 4 love filled weeks with you and that is something you should feel good about, try to remember the good times with him I am glad to hear you have a new baby to love now in the shape of Taz

God Bless You Harvey, Sweet Dreams!
    Cathryn
    Cavaliers leave pawprints in your heart and hair on everything else!!
    RE-LIVE YOUR CHILDHOOD THROUGH YOUR KIDS, THE TOYS ARE SO MUCH BETTER THESE DAYS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That is such a sad story. At least Harvey's very short life was filled with your love.

On a happier note.... I look forward to photos of Taz.
    ~ Sam, Sonny & Beau ~

Post Thanks / Like

This is so sad to hear but I am sure you made his short life a happy one with lots of love.

Post Thanks / Like

We are truly sorry for your loss and hope your memories of your time together will give you peace and strength. Know that Harvey is happy, healthy, and running free at the Rainbow Bridge and keeps a watchful eye out for you to arrive and hold him once again.

Ruby and Sydney in Virginia