• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Are potatoes any good as part of CKC diet?

TonySlater

As the title really, are potatoes any good as part of Cavalier King Charles diet?, or would it be best to give them a miss? When I say potatoes, I mean potatoes of any sort, mashed whole or otherwise? I assume salted potatoes would be a big no no??

Tony

No salt ever need sto be added in dog food -- they don't need sodium and it can be detrimental.

Some food lists say potatioes are not good but many dog foods include them. I note one of the biggest US vet schools recommends feeding potatoes and a protein source for dogs with allergies (well and added supplements of course, has to be done under supervision) so I am sure they are fine as an occasional addition.

Sometimes yams and white fish are recommended for a bad tummy. I know CA Natural had a duck and potato food.

I use a salmon and potato food supplemented with real salmon, sunday dinner leftovers, daily conditioning tablets, and daily fish oil capsules- and my pups are lively, their coats shining, and I can't tell you the last time either had anything resembling a gloopy poo. I've seen more reactions to excess white meat than to spuds, to be honest, for what it's worth.

Maddy loves sweet potato. I mix her wet dog food, a little sweet potato and a few tiny scraps of chicken together. That is probably her favourite food.
Pam

I give my guys potatoe occasionally for variety. It seems there are two camps regarding potatoes. Some say do & some say don't. Maybe the truth lies somewhere in the middle; perhaps they are of no great benefit, but also of no harm.

Raw potato is not good for them, but we often give cooked potato without any problems...

I think raw sweet potato is ok though {yams}

potatoes make me laugh.....reason being that my dad grew up on a farm in italy and if we ever went to give him a baked pototoe would turn his nose up, one day i asked him why he ate all other potatoes but not baked and he said thats what he used to feed the pigs!!! jadan has a potatoe every now and again and he has no problems. :)

Back