• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy classes

freesia

Barney started his puppy classes tonight and he seemed to like it. There were two blenheims there as well. We were shown sit, recall and a little bit of loose lead. The puppies all got to mix with each other as well but there were a couple who were not too happy. Barney was making his usual play noises and one of the other cavaliers started barking and talking to him, they so cute.:D

I'm using cheese and James Wellbeloved treats at the moment. What does everyone else use for treats for training?
The trainer said strong smelling treats are the best

Classes sound like fun! Glad Barney likes it! i use liver treats for my two...they absolutely love them!

Thanks I will see if we can get some, I got some sausage things that he absolutely loved but he seems to be allergic to them.:D

Puppy classes are fun! :rah:

What does everyone else use for treats for training?

When I started with Beau, he wasn't interested in any of the commercial treats so I used to cut up some chicken loaf. Man did that get his attention! Because it was moist (about the consistency of ham) it was a bit messy to handle, so at our last class I tried him on some dried liver and he has taken to that ok now. With the chicken loaf I had to keep pulling it out of a plastic bag which was not convenient. I am hoping that if he will still be motivated on the dried liver I will now be able to put it in my pocket.

BTW I was the most popular human at puppy class when we were doing the chicken loaf. All the little noses were twitching in our direction. :dogwlk:

Thank you, but what is chicken loaf please?

Ok, given that I am in Oz, you probably don't have this product but if I describe it, I am sure there is something similar. The one I use is called "Farmland Chicken Roll". It is about the same consistancy of devon (do you have that?) or firm ham, but it comes in a fat little roll.. kind of about 15 cm long by 5 cm diameter. It is a processed product for humans made of pressed chicken & other ingredients to make it tasty. I just cut it up into about thumbnail sizes so Mr Beau doesn't pigg-out too much on it. I would think just about any low fat cooked sausage meat/processed meat would be similar to a dog's pallet.

If you enjoy cooking (which I do not) you can often find recipes for chicken loaf on the internet & some cookbooks.

Thank you, think we may have something similar to the chicken loaf, going to try hot dogs tonight though.

It's the best thing I have done taking him to the class, it's our second time tonight.

Took Barney for a walk over the fields the other night and there was a field with horses in, which I won't go in, with plenty of poop there. Anyhow I turned back round but about 300yds from the field I dropped his lead by accident he took off full pelt for the poop. I did the recall what I had been shown and he came straight back, I was so proud of him. If I hadn't been to the classes I would of just been shouting his name over and over and he wouldn't of come back. He's a good boy.:D

I use sliced hotdog sausage, as do lots of competition people; also haslet, as it has a scent that carries and tiny puppy treats , from PaH (these, being bone shaped can be broken into two smaller pieces).

I use the good old liver cake!! This is something used by show folk, that you make at home yourself, there are several versions of the recipe and it is a bit like making fast setting concrete, you have to work fast, I can guarantee you it will stink your house out, make your OH say "OMG! What have you been cremating?" I also guarantee it will have your dog/s hanging around your oven with huge eye's and looking at you as if they have not been feed since the turn of the last century!! :rotfl:

Going to tease you here and say if you want the recipe let me know and I will post it for you!! ;) ;) Not being mean, I just have to get offline right now and serve up Tea is all, so if you all want that recipe, tell me and I WILL post it later!!

Hi,
Thanks Cathryn, yes I would like the recipe, the only liver treats I have come across are huge and like bricks.:D

Back