• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

James Wellbeloved v Burns

Yvonne117

Has anybody tried both, any reason why one is better than the other. Both my boys on JWB but keep hearing Burns is even better.
Thanks for any info.

I don't think there is a great deal of difference between the two and it is a personal choice.
Personally I feed both my girls on Burns. Cinders, my older one is on the high oats which is perfect for keeping her weight stable. She has only got to look at food and she puts on weight.:)

Personal preference really I think -- they are fairly similar. Burns is a smaller company. For us in Ireland it is a lot harder to find Burns so I've only used JW myself -- I like both JW and Royal Canin for my crew.

I found that Royal Canin, the prescription one for allergies, made his skin dry. The advantage of JWB, over Burns, is that it is easier to obtain, being stocked by PaH and so is also cheaper, as they have three for two or money off offers.

Thanks for all the info. harvey can eat anything but Alfie has been on prescription Royal Canin for 8 months and now I have gradually introduced the JWB and he seems ok. I think I will stick with JWB.

Burns seem to have changed their ingredients recently - I heard that dogs weren't holding their weight on it, so this might be the reason. Personally of the two I would recommend JWB now...

Royal Canin is very good, but does have some fillers {sugar beet pulp} in it.

Although they do an excellent food for tiny puppies and bitches in whelp, called Starter...

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food/royal_canin_size/special_care/13700

It's brilliant for those prone to upset tummies/colitis, if they've had a loose stool you can give them a small meal of this a few hours later, I give about 25g for the next couple of meals, and this avoids having to starve them. It is so gentle on the stomach and very easy to digest.

I now keep a bag in the house - I have one who is very prone to colitis.

I find it very interesting to read that many of you are recommending Royal Canin (My feed of choice BTW) and also James Wellbeloved as they are both produced by the same company Crown Pet foods!!

If memory serves correct one of Burns' major selling point is that it is a "holistic" feed? I tried a few sample packs with my "cuddle" and to be honest they weren't that bothered by it!

Over the years I have tried various feeds from Pedigree c**p to Arden Grange and many more besides but RC has been fed here for 3 years solid now, you have seen pics of my girls, even Tasha with Mum + Dad is fed RC, the results for me are conclusive. Another BIG plus is that RC ask us the breeders for our opinions and actually listen to them!

Just my (humble) opinion is all!

I find it very interesting to read that many of you are recommending Royal Canin (My feed of choice BTW) and also James Wellbeloved as they are both produced by the same company Crown Pet foods!!
I hadn't realised that, but the RC did make Teddy scurfy. This was the hyperallergenic which is very very expensive (£25 for 7kg was the cheapest I could get and the vet would put £10 on that !).

When I asked the vet nurse for an alternative, she told be JWB. I think the RC is recommneded because they know you can't buy from shops and so will boost thier profits. (Sorry, but I'm not impressed by the way the group who took over from our vet has doubled her prices within 18 months).

Back