• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Is this normal?

Holly

Oliver is a 2 and a half year old Blenheim. His snout/muzzle have always been pure white, but in the past few months he has developed a flat, black beauty mark to the left of his nose about the size of an eraser on a pencil. It is the color of his nose. He also has developed a small one on top of his snout, you almost cant notice that one its so tiny.

His beauty mark is cute--- I have been calling him Cindy Crawford (which he doesn't like!) :), but is this normal for this to have devloped at the age of two? Just curious as I have read some things on here about skin cancer and just wanted to be sure...

All mine have black colouring right next to the nose, but have had it from puppyhood. Could you show us a photo showing what you mean ?

Here's a photo showing Joly's black area.

Img_0152.jpg

Jaspar got a blacker area around his mouth as he got older -- it wasn't that noticeable when he was young. I remember someone else asking a similar questions so it seems some dogs has this hard darken as they get older.

I can't find the cord to attach my camera to the computer, but I will look for it to show you, Barbara. Joly is gorgeous, by the way. :)

It looks just like the coloring of his nose, but its just a round spot to the left of his nose.

It sounds pretty normal, then, though Joly had his black bit at 8 weeks. It makes him look as though he has a heart shaped nose.

Even many white dogs if shaved would show darker skin oatches and the skins of particolours don't match the actual skin pattern.

I would be concerned, though, if a dog had dark patches with loss of hair, as this can be caused by mites.

another nose question...

Hi here's another question about noses......my 12 wk. old puppy has a pink spot on her nose where the pigment has not turned black. My vet said it would turn black too since the rest of her nose is so black. Just wondering if it will.....

My 2 1/2 year old Sonny has that dark pigment around his nose like the photos here. Beau doesn't, but I am expecting it will come in when he is a little older

JLD, at 12 weeks of age there is still plenty of time for the pigment to change on your dogs nose, but only time will tell of the outcome.

Back