• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

tearing

vikki

I know tearing is common. my 15 week old pup does tear but today is tearing a bit more from one eye and it is a tad red. I was thinking this may be due to teething as well. is there anything I can do for her so that she doesn't tear as much. do they tear as a result of their backgrounds. why do the smaller dogs tear I don't think any of the bigger breeds I had did this? how much is too much tearing. thanks for the info

Hi Vikki

I am no expert on this but I think there are many reasons for tearing. It can be caused by food allergies, allergies to pollens & stuff in the environment, simple irritants as opposed to allergies.

I don't know why tearing is so prevalent in little dogs, but one theory I have is that because they are so small, it is just more noticable. When I look at the size of the eyeball of my 40 kilogram Boxer, it isn't much bigger than the eyeball of my Cavaliers, but the eyelids are bigger & fleshier & of course the head is about 4 times larger. So the same volume of tearing would just be a little speck in the corner of my Boxers eye but it would be a river in my little Cavaliers. Also, the smaller breeds often more more protruding eyes.

I don't have any sage advice about how to get rid of it. When we adopted Sonny he had a lot of tearing, but once I switched his food this went away. That was by good luck, not by any great knowledge on my part. Thankfully none of my other dogs have tearing. Ironically, both my husband & I suffer from chronic hayfever and we are the ones with tearing.... no stains though. :razz:

thanks for the info. think your insights are right on with the size comparisons, I never thought of that. thanks again

Back