• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Grass Seeds

Sandrac

Well its that time of the year again! When the girls were on their walk this morning Minnie-May went off into the long grass chasing a butterfly a short time later she started shaking her head and rubbing it on the ground. Having had a similar incident with Cinders a couple of years ago, I knew what had happened. :eek:
So it was straight home and phoned vets as soon as they opened, Minnie was so good, and there was a grass seed in her ear. It was too far down to be removed without sedation, so I've had to leave her there.:( At the same time the vet is going to shave the inside part of her ear, which should help stop anymore going in.
If anyone has got any other good ideas to see us through the summer I would be grateful. I think I'll try one of those snoods that I've seen on here.

Last summer I'm fairly certain that we had 2 members whose cavaliers had grass seeds in their ears.

This can become a very serious problem, so thanks for the reminder!!!

Grass seeds can be horrid. Our Boxers used to get them embedded in the corner of their eyes. I don't know what the answer is. We just used to keep the grass mown short around our property & avoided taking the dogs for walks in areas where they'd get into them. Not easy though if you are limited by where you can walk your dogs.

omg yes pesky seeds. jadan just has to run through long grass...thinks he is a gazelle the way he jumps through it!! but i keep having to check him as i heard stories about them growing in their heads!! then my brother rings and tells me he just paid a fortune because his pup had them in her paws. some had worked there way right inside her pads!! but they are everywhere you cant avoid them. would love some ideas short of putting plastic bags on there feet and maybe one of those old lady plastic rain hats that tie under your chin!!!

We've come up with a solution! I've cut the toe out of a pop sock and then put the sock over Minnie's head - it stays quite snug. So far I've picked several seeds out of the sock - it acts like a filter and catches them in the mesh.:) Cinders has one on as well - they look like a pair of little old ladies when we go out walking.:dogwlk:

Back