• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Alfie has umbilical Hernia does it look ok? (photo's)

ness

Alfie has an umbilical Hernia. On his vet papers in the abdominal palpitation section the vet has ticked the normal box and wrote small umbilical hernia in the comment box. The vet thinks it will heal on it's own. To me it looks quite large, it's about the size of the tip of my finger. It can also be pushed back into his stomch so you cant see it, but pops back out as soon as Alfie moves. Here is a photo of it, do you think it looks small? and does it look like it will heal on it's own? if not I will have to get it fixed when he gets neutered. I will get my vet to have a look at it when he goes for his next set of shots to get a second opinion. Alfie is still acting like a normal puppy and he eats and goes to the toilet very well so I dont think it's causing him any pain. I just thourght it looked quite large but the vet thinks it's only small :confused: . Do you think his hernia look's and sounds ok? and does anyone have any pics of umbilical hernias? I have only ever seen one on my friends cocker spaniel pup but I dont think her's was as big as Alfie's.
P10100052.jpg

and this is after I pushed it in
P10100062-1.jpg

It looks ok, just go with what the vet says, he will of seen plenty. He looks so cute laid on his back. lovely pics.

Robbie had one and my breeder told me to keep pushing it back in so that hopefully as the area healed it would be in..I could never get it pushed in but had it repaired when he was neutered even tho my vet said it probably wouldn't be a problem we figured as long as he was already under we would fix it.

Izzy had one, just like that, for all of his life and never suffered any ill effects. The vet just suggested checking, now and then, to make sure that no intestine got pushed into the bulge, as this would be the only problem.

I agree, it is only small!! I wouldn't be worrying too much about that, but do watch it though, a hernia you can push back and comes back out again suggests the muscle ring behind it hasn't closed up fully, but No, I wouldn't be worrying about that at all!!

Cute little guy you have there, I love them when they fall asleep on their backs like that, shiny pink tummy up!! Awwwwww Sweet!! :lotsaluv:

We had a poodle growing up who had a hernia that looked just like that. He had it all his life and lived a long and happy life. :)

Charlie's umbilical hernia was about the same size. They told me it would probably fix itself as well. He just went in and got neutered (6 mos), and they fixed the hernia at the same time, since it didn't go away on its own.

My Chelsea has a hernia as well, I was worried at first, but advice from my vet and the people on this forum assured me it was nothing to worry about.
Chelsea029.jpg

Neither of those look too bad. Listen to your vet. Now having said that, every now and then one of our puppy people will tell us their vet wants to fix a hernia. When we look at it, if we don't think it needs fixing, we tell them to get a second opinion. Seems to be a few vets out there that want to fix any hernia.

Umbilical hernias are somewhat common in this breed. I would guess maybe 15% to 20% of our puppies have one to start out. Most go away on their own or are small enough to not be a problem. As far as I know we have only had 2 or 3 over the years that had to be fixed.

Back