Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training an older dog

Post Thanks / Like

Default Training an older dog

Hi
    Does anyone have any tips about training an older dog? Since I've had Toby and he has lost a lot of weight he seems to have got a lot naughtier! He has now realised he can get away with a lot more and can now run away from you. Before when he had a bit of extra weight he couldn't do so much and was just happy lieing around all day. Don't get me wrong I would much have him more active just a little bit less naughty.
    If he doesn't get his own way he goes into that cavalier sulk !
    Mum to AJ (Blenhiem born 6th August 2010) - my world
    My beautiful, brave boy Toby (Blenhiem) now waiting for me at the Bridge, love you forever chicken!
    Auntie to:Taffy(B) &Archie(B&T) - Doggy kisses 'cos you know there the best kind!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sure, old dogs can definitely learn nw tricks!

pproach training just as you would with a younger dog. If you haven't done an obedience class, or only a long time ago, this is a good place to start. The reason why is that you will both have fun, there will be lots of helpful structue and friendly dog owners, and you can ask the trainr for specific advice on any litle glitches in behavour that you want to address.

Generally, just doing a bit of training daily helps to reassert that you expect good behaviour and for your dog to take guidance from you -- just like kids! If children are taught manners but never have them reinforced and thus never get a chance to put trining into practice, they are going to be unruly because they feel no obligation to pay any attention to what the adults say. Likewise with dogs: a daily session or two at home where you run through some commands is a great approach and fun for you both. A clas will get you started on thinking about what to do togethr, and then you can do daily sessions at home.

Or check out www.deesdogs.com for some advice shets on some specific training tasks to get started right away.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Tansy : Mindy Connie Roxy Neasa Gus
    In memory: My beautiful Jaspar Lucy Leo Lily Libby

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Karlin,
    Thanks for that advice, I though obedience classes were for puppies!LOL
    I've had a look at classes and there is one less than a minutes walk from my house and I quite fancy going. I will have to talk to the person who runs it as it is on a Monday and sometimes I have to guide on a Monday (I'm like a relief brownie guider if anyone is away or ill) often I don't get much notice (normally 2 hours). Just hope she doesn't mind me missing a few!

Are there any dvd's etc on the market that are suitable to start with?

My aim is to have a perfectly behaved, well manner dog. LOL
    My beautiful, brave boy Toby (Blenhiem) now waiting for me at the Bridge, love you forever chicken!
    Auntie to:Taffy(B) &Archie(B&T) - Doggy kisses 'cos you know there the best kind!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good, I am sure they won't mind if you miss the odd class, Good Luck in your quest for the best trained Cavalier in the world!!
    Cathryn
    Cavaliers leave pawprints in your heart and hair on everything else!!
    RE-LIVE YOUR CHILDHOOD THROUGH YOUR KIDS, THE TOYS ARE SO MUCH BETTER THESE DAYS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh Karlin has just said what I was going to say.

My old girl Scarlett (11) has recently learned some new tricks. Back in November her buddy Pebbles die and I thought poor Scarlett looked terribly disinterested in life, so I started teaching her some new fun things. I was blown away with how quickly she caught on.

And yes, I just taught her exactly the same way I would teach a puppy. Though they say old dogs are slower at learning (& maybe it is true), they also are more focused & less easily distracted than the little ones.

Good luck. Make it fun!
    ~ Sam, Sonny & Beau ~

Post Thanks / Like

Good advice from all the above. I have my 2 new rescues (4 years old) since Nov 2006 who had to be house trained and obedience trained. I taught them just like puppies - repetition and food treats (healthy ones for Toby of course ) really help

Good luck
    Casshon

Molly (Blenheim) & Bella (Tri)
    Honey, Cassie & Tiki (Cavalier Angels)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Update

Thanks for every ones advice.

Training will not come too soon. At the moment he is being really stubborn firstly he is getting very fussy over what he eats. He thinks he should eat human food all the time, as I said he gets veggies and a bit of potato on Sunday. Now when I put his food down he will just walk away , but will be right by us when we are eating begging for food. I have not been giving in and if he doesn't eat his food it gets taken away until the next meal time. He manages meal refusals then gives in. When he does not eat his meal he also doesn't get any treats, when he does eat it he gets lots of fuss and a little (healthy!) treat.

He has also decided that he will wake the whole house up at 5-6am in the morning . Firstly I thought he needed a wee so took him outside, the last 3 mornings in a row when i have opened the door and tried to get him to go out he just looks at me and walks away!!!!
    I thought he might be having a strop as he is having to sleep in the kitchen for a bit as we are having the sitting room decorated and it smells heavy of paint and varnish. Also in this warmer weather the kitchen in the coolest and that's the place he usually heads for when he is warm!!!

Oh well of to do a bit more training, fingers crossed I get a lie in to at least 8am tomorrow lol

Post Thanks / Like

Oh well looks like we are not going training

Popped into the local class today and the trainer really didnt seem intrested when I told her how old Toby was, she said even if I did come not to expect miracles, which is fair enough. I explained what people here had said but the look I got told me just didn't really belive me.
    Her suggestion was just to give him a Kong (which he already has and has lost intrest in). She really didnt seem as if she wanted us to take part at all.
    The course would start in September as next week is the last one.
    She did ask why I had not brought him earlier and I had explained I had only just recently become his full time owner and she asked why his previous owners had not trained him to which I really could't answer.
    So there we are, not really too happy. Thought training would not only help Toby but also me to understand why he does stuff and how he thinks etc.
    Any recommendations for books or dvd's are appricated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't want to train at the class if the trainer's attitude is like that anyway!

I have found Dummies Guide to Dog tricks has all the basic sit, stay, down etc commands but also some fun things to make training fun.

I'm trying to teach Oakley "Shoot the dog" - he is catching on now but only if I fall on the floor too!
    Kirsty
    Merlin and Oakleys Mum (Merlin -Male/B&T/5 years, Oakley - Male/Ruby/3.5years)

Post Thanks / Like

No she did not seem to have the right attitude.

Yeah I saw the books Dummies guide to dog training and tricks and thought about getting them. The only thing is Toby is a deaf (when he wants to be) the vet did a simple hearing test and said he did have a little hearing although not much and this cold also be selective.

Awwww of course you have to join in with Oakley