Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building relationships

Post Thanks / Like

Default Building relationships

If you missed the post in the General folder, Cedar and Willow have a new sister, Holly. It's been six days since they met, and they are slowly building new relationships between them. At first, Willow and Cedar, especially, were somewhat standoffish. Willow is always standoffish, but Cedar is generally more rambunctious. However, Cedar behaved much the same when Willow came to the family--she sat back and observed for a few days and then opened up and asserted herself.

Now, Holly is much more assertive than Willow will ever be. Holly was a go-getter right from the start, showing no signs of nervousness or fear at anyone or anything. It took her a day or two to know what playing with another cavalier was all about, but she quickly figured it out!

Cedar has started to play with Holly, and as they play, I can see the powerplay they are going through. Holly, at just 11 months, is brass and unknowing--she just wants to wrestle. Cedar, though, keeps trying to get Holly in her place. Most of the interactions are occurring through play. There's only been one or two instances when Cedar drew the line and growled seriously at Holly, and to her benefit, Holly backed off. So I think Cedar's position of packleader will be preserved, though she'll have more responsibility with such a rowdy puppy!!

Willow gladly takes the bottom rung, though she does jump in to play a little bit. She prefers to watch the really rough stuff.

Somehow, I have managed to capture a rough playtime in a few shots--I have no idea how I did it!! I see now that I should have edited the light as the pics are sorta dark. Hopefully you can still see them, though.

Notice Willow watching in the background:

While it may seem like Cedar has the upperhand, Holly gives as good as she gets:

Of course, Holly and Willow have their own budding relationship. It is just based on a different way of interacting:
    Cindy
    Cedar (tri), Willow (blen), Holly (ruby), & Bella (blen)

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like things are going fine, they are sorting out a pecking order and that is just great!! Give them a few more weeks and you will be thinking they had always been together!!

Great pics, light is just fine, well done for getting them, I love to see them playfighting like this, always sounds truly awful but they always go back for more!!

You have 3 very beautiful dogs there, just one short of a full set, any plans for a B+T??
    Cathryn
    Cavaliers leave pawprints in your heart and hair on everything else!!
    RE-LIVE YOUR CHILDHOOD THROUGH YOUR KIDS, THE TOYS ARE SO MUCH BETTER THESE DAYS!!

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic action shots Hopefully Prince and Lucy will be playing like that soon
    Sue, Prince (B&T, DOB: 28/09/2001) & Lucy (Tri, DOB Unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

lovely pics .............Cathryn you need a black and tan as well
    Cavaliers are like chocolate the more you see the more you want

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by inca View Post
    lovely pics .............Cathryn you need a black and tan as well
    Tell me about Inca, tell me about it!! I am working on it though, really hard!! Would love to start with wholecolours as well as the Parti-colours, lets see what happens later in the year!
    Cathryn
    RE-LIVE YOUR CHILDHOOD THROUGH YOUR KIDS, THE TOYS ARE SO MUCH BETTER THESE DAYS!!

Post Thanks / Like

First of all -- Yea!! and congratulations!!!!

I really like the darker background on the pictures.. It makes their play fighting seem more dramatic.

When you go from two dogs- to three dogs you have a small pack-lol. It is very interesting to see the different types of relationships they have with each other. My alpha male will let pups abuse him,pull his ears, take his toys, treats whatever and he never makes a peep. There is one adult female he doesn't like (which is odd). She is the only girl that isn't allowed to even look at his "stuff".

Best to you and your new addition- Sandy

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful dogs. It's comforting to see the way they play. Everytime Chloe plays with her friend, usually once a week for a few hours, all they do is wrestle. They don't stop! I was thinking there is something wrong. They do love each other and take turns being boss, but they play rough all the time. they are both 5 months, will they every just hang out together?

Chloe and Koda sitting for a treat
    Dawn &
    Chloe tri 1/07

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cathryn View Post
    Tell me about Inca, tell me about it!! I am working on it though, really hard!! Would love to start with wholecolours as well as the Parti-colours, lets see what happens later in the year!

you may have to watch this space
    Cavaliers are like chocolate the more you see the more you want

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by inca View Post
    you may have to watch this space
    Ohhhhhh!! OK will do just that!
    Cathryn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chloe'sdee View Post
    Beautiful dogs. It's comforting to see the way they play. Everytime Chloe plays with her friend, usually once a week for a few hours, all they do is wrestle. They don't stop! I was thinking there is something wrong. They do love each other and take turns being boss, but they play rough all the time. they are both 5 months, will they every just hang out together?
    LOL They are acting like perfectly normal--and well socialized!!--puppies!! If they only get to see each other once a week for just a few hours, they probably want to make the most of the time. If they hung out together for longer times, they'd eventually fall down and nap for a minute or two, and then get right back to wrestling.

When they get a bit older--and spend more time together--they will probably only wrestle 3/4th of the time.

As a comparison, in the pictures above, cedar, the Tri, is 2 years old. The ruby is 11 months. You've got lots of wrestling in your future.
    Cindy
    Cedar (tri), Willow (blen), Holly (ruby), & Bella (blen)