• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Epilepsy

-leah-

hey!

well i havent posted in along time, sorry! so here it goes.. last night Bailey was in the lving room eating a bona my mam went in to check on him and he was croughed over, she thought he had the bone nder him, hding it from holly. I went in to take a look as soon as i saw him i knew there was something up he was so stiff and rigid, we thoght he was after choking. i picked him up and jumped him round a it he was totally irresponsive and his eyes were rolling around. this was at ten pm so we called the emergency vet withen about 7 minutes we were in the practice. the vet pointed put straight away there were three possible causes a)heart problems (irregular pattern etc) b)he could be poisoned or c) neurological (epilepsy) she cahecked his bllods thay were perfect that ruled out poison.. she checked his heart that wasd perfect.. so epilepsy was what we were left with by process of elimination. She sent us home and gave us an appointment to come back this morning when everthing had calmed down. Bailey slept right throught the night and was back to himself this morning. When we wewnt back tot he vet today she told us everytrhing we needed to know and more she was amazing. Bailey will not be put on medication unless his fits become more regular. He may not have another one for six months or he could have another one tonight... keep hi in your thoughts. thanks :)

Sorry to hear about this Leah - thinking of you and Bailey.

I hope it was just a one off - it does happen, Kyla had a seizure about a month ago, and hasn't had one since. She does have the occasional focal seizure - these are the very mild ones which last just a few seconds - but nothing else.

Try to avoid the medication if you can - unless the seizures get really frequent - as it can have quite nasty side effects and is difficult to balance.

It would be worth writing down exactly what happened, and how long it lasted, and do this for any future episodes. If possible, try to get some video, as this will help a vet/neurologist.

Have a look at this page too

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=8786&highlight=epilepsy

Gentle hugs for Bailey, I hope he will be ok.

We've had about 7 dogs with fits ( my first cav & first dog had a nasty fit the day I got her ! )
Personally I wouldnt medicate unless they were having so many fits it was interfering with their quality of life or they had fits they didn't come out of ( we've had two with fits that required an anisthetic to get them out of)

just put them in a dark quite place until they come out of it.. If they don't appear to be coming out of it after a few minutes they need to see a vet

hope the little mans ok & its just a one off

Last edited:
Hi Leah!

So sorry to hear about Bailey. Lets hope this was an isolated occurance for Bailey! You are in my thoughts, a big kiss and a gentle :hug: for Bailey, Oh and a :hug: for you and your mum each too, sounds like you could do with one each as well!!

:xfngr::xfngr::paw::paw: Everything crossed for you that this is a one time occurrence. I'm glad he's recovered from it!:flwr::flwr::flwr:

I am really sorry to hear this happened to Bailey and it can be very frightening. As Nicki said, sometimes they can have an isolated seizure and it doesn't always mean that it will be an ongoing problem.

Our Boxer girl Scarlett has grand-mal seizures on a regular basis and though I would dearly love for this not to be happening to her, she still has a good quality of life and seems totally unaware of what just happened to her.

:xfngr: Lets hope this is a one off eh!

Poor Bailey. I'm sorry that happened to him :( .

Tiki used to have fits and we had to give him medication when the fit was happening. My cousins dog Calvin was also an epileptic and he was on medication for life as he fitted regularly.

Fingers crossed Bailey won't have any more fits :xfngr:

wow! I havnt been on here in a long time! Bailey was diagnosed with epilepsy in september. He is on meds and he hasnt had a fit since he started on them. I never realised the obstacles that we would have to overcome with a sick dog. We have had to change groomer and sitter, and family memebers, friends etc seem to treat him differently.. The only difference is that he now takes a tablet twice a day, he's still the same dog to me :)

Hi Leah, sorry to hear Bailey has this condition but I'm glad it is well under control. :) Of course he is the same dog; it can be really frustrating when people make exceptions they don't need to make but it is the same with human illnesses; people are afraid of what they don't understand or know very much about.

If you haven't, be sure to let his breeder know that he has this. It is an inherited condition and is important for the breeder to know about. (y)

I agree with Karlin - people are afraid of what they don't understand. LouLou our ruby has epilepsy. Her original owners just let her have fit after fit and eventually I managed to have her come live with us. Instead of understanding the dogs needs they just let her deal with her condition.

I am sure Bailey is much happier now on meds.

Thanks for the update Leah. Glad to hear it sounds like you have everything under control and Bailey is doing well.

Back