• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Alfie Chews on everything!

ness

Alfie is such a ckeeky little boy! he has been chewing on everything, shoe's, carpet, clothes, couches, me, everything but his toys :mad: he has loads of good toys but he chooses to chew everything else but them :rolleyes: I have picked everything up off the floor but that dosent stop him from chewing everything else like carpet, the couch ect how can I stop him? I have just been saying "no" in a firm voice and removing him from what ever he was chewing and replacing it with one of his toy's. I have also been rewarding him when he chews on his own toy's. What else can I do?

You could try keeping him in an x-pen where there is nothing dangerous he can chew. When he is out of his pen keep a constant watch on him.

Sorry but I can't think of anything else that will stop him chewing :)

Hi!

With a pup this young I'm afraid there is no immediate "cure", you are doing the right thing by discouraging him from what you don't want chewing and praising him when he plays with his own toys!

Would agree with the suggestion of popping him in an exercise pen when you are busy and cannot give him all of your attention, this will teach him which toys are his and will also prevent damage to your couch etc! Perseverance is the name of the game here, Oh and an extra pair of eye's in the back of your head wouldn't go amiss either!! :lol:

Keep up the good work!!

They all go thorough this stage. As well as the great advice already offered, you might like to try reserving some of his toys as special & when you see him having a bit of a chew, give him one of the special reserved toys. I do this as a regular thing with Beau. I just remove about 1/3 of his toys & put them up in the cupboard. I bring them out after about a week & give them to him & take away another 1/3. He keeps thinking I am giving him new toys, or maybe he just enjoys seeing his old friends. ;)

Does he have a small kong, nylabone, and perhaps a bully stick for hard chewing? When Geordie and India were pups they had both 'hard' and 'soft' toys, which seemed to meet all of their chewing needs.

we haven't had too much trouble with chewing she goes in the exersise pen if i can't watch her then give her kongs or nylabones. Could you try the 'leave it' command and redirect chewing to good things then praise like crazy. Our trainer told us that chewing was down to boredom do you give treat balls with fav treats in?

Unfortunately, you will be moving him away from things for a while. Dozens and dozens of times saying no. That's really the only way to cure him from chewing on things you don't want him too. Also keeping a very close eye on him for an immediate response from you when he starts to chew on something. Aren't puppies hard work? But they are soooo cuddly.

In addition to what others have said, you can also try the bitter apple spray on things he tends to go back to on a regular basis. It doesn't work with all puppies, though, but most.

We have one right now that we kept from one of our breedings that is about 7 months old and has decided to try to chew a hole through the sheetrock wall :swear: . Misty has a hole about 1/4" deep and 4" diameter. We have sprayed it with bitter apple, but I think she likes it! Next step is to have her teeth pulled; NO NOT REALLY, but it's sure frustrating!!

Is Bitter Apple the best detterant spray to use? Louie seems to like the taste of it, or he's at least willing to put up with the bitter taste in order to chew on the bottom edge of the couch :rolleyes:

Is Bitter Apple the best detterant spray to use? Louie seems to like the taste of it, or he's at least willing to put up with the bitter taste in order to chew on the bottom edge of the couch :rolleyes:

Yes, that's the problem with Misty, she seems to like the taste. We have always bought Bitter Apple because that's the one we have had the most luck with. If Misty doesn't stop though, we are going to have to try some others.

A fellow breeder I know swears by using mustard!! Not too sure about spreading it on carpets etc, but it works for her!!

when we got lucy we bought this product called pet behaviour spray from our local pet store, it works by spraying it on anything you dont want the puppy to chew- it smells at first to humans but soon fades but pets dont like the taste of it!
and touch wood lucy has not chewed any thing that does not belong to her:D

Bitter apple spray does work very well, but some dogs do like the taste - sometimes it helps to try different brands. I have also heard that vinegar is an effective deterent.

Back