• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Lazy puppy

noa_mills

Hello,

My Jordi is just over 3 months now. He recently got his last shot, so we have started taking him out for walks. Now, I was expecting him to love his walks because he is full of energy at home.
But instead he gets really lazy when we're out. He sits & lies down at every opportunity and I feel bad cause it almost feels like I'm dragging him along... I have tried tempting him with treats. I show him the treat and he walks along with me for about a minute. Then I give him the treat & he sits down to eat it :D
Am I expecting too much too soon? Is he too young to enjoy his walks or should I just keep taking him out?

He's pretty young still. Mst puppies this age are only able for about 5 minute walks and shouldn't be walked more than 20 minutes at a time til they are about a year -- it is hard on growing joints.

Most likely he just isn't used to/dilsikes the feel of harness (please use a harness if you aren't, not lead on collar; much better for this breed) and lead. Try walking in the house or garden to train him to be comfortable and he should soon welcome trips outdoors. Remember too that puppies are easily overwhelmed and the big outdoors can be scary. They also don't see going outside as a cue to walk, until they learn the connection. It is something to be gradually introduced and usually needs a bit of training. :)

Yes, we use a harness. I saw a cavalier wearing one before we got ours and got 1 for him about 3 weeks before we took him home :D I've had to strecht it a few times since he's with us, he grows so fast.

Thanks Karlin, I feel a bit better now. I'll just take him out for 5 minutes at a time.

Back