• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Leg Cocking

Emma n Renco

Hi everyone,
Just a quick and not very important question, but we have been reading through the website and seen a few people mention that their male dogs cock their legs to wee... As this is our first male dog we are just wondering - do all male cavs cock their legs to wee? Harvey just squats down and gets it on his paws and we were wondering if they normally cock their legs? Is it just an issue of some do and some don't? Or do they do it when they are older? :)

Emma,
I really wouldnt worry about this. Im no expert but I think that its when dogs get older that they start to cock their legs, dont think puppies do it for several months maybe even longer!
My mums labrador is a girl and she cocks her leg most of the time?? (maybe shes confused!) think its just one of those things they either start to do or dont no matter whether they are girls or boys!

Hi Emma!!

Yes boys do "cock" their legs when they are older, generally around 9-12 months of age on average.

Puppies generally only start cocking their legs once they hormones start up -- around 6-9 months seems to be the average going by board members; some take longer. Most boys will eventually cock their legs but a small number always squat, and some will do a mix (Jaspar does both; tends to squat for his first wee then cock his leg the rest of a walk).

Well you all took the words right out of my mouth. Yep, you've got to wait for those big-boy hormones to cut in before the delighful leg-cocking cuts in.

Chester was around 6 months when he started cocking his leg.

He still squats in the garden though but has to cock his leg up almost every tree we pass when out walking.

Back