Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: A serious warning for dogs in lakes

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    1,444
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default A serious warning for dogs in lakes

    Kris forwarded this to me from another list:

    It is with a very heavy heart that I write this and I apologize for its
    length. Please, PLEASE pass this around.
    On Monday, June 25, 2007 I took my healthy 9 month old Border Collie Vita
    swimming at approximately 6:30 p.m. Vita and two other BC's spent about an
    hour and a half diving off the dock, chasing the Water Kong, and running
    around.
    The temperature that day was just over 90 degrees, but none of the dogs
    looked particularly winded or hot.
    Vita emerged from the water and looked as if she was going to vomit. She
    threw up lake water three times. I wasn't particularly concerned as she took
    in a lot of water from retrieving and swimming so much and had seen other
    dogs do that in the past without complications.
    After the third time throwing up, she lay down and closed her eyes. Her
    tongue was hanging out of her mouth and I began to suspect she may have heat
    stroke. I immediately placed ice on her stomach and checked her gums.
    They were
    pink. I took her temperature which was 101.9, still normal. I then called my
    Vet who said these conditions did not indicate heat stroke and said I needed
    to get emergency medical attention right away.
    Vita was not responsive and when I picked her up to put her in the car she
    was limp and her eyes were still closed. Her breathing was slow and her
    heart was racing. I arrived at the emergency clinic only a half hour from
    the time she showed signs of distress. The ER Vet asked me what sorts of
    things Vita had been doing all day. I explained that she was crated as I was
    gone for the latter part of the afternoon and that upon coming home, the
    only other place she went was to the lake.
    Vita's eyes were fixed and dilated and the Vet suggested there was already
    brain damage. After administering an IV and oxygen, the Vet called me in and
    said Vita was not responding and that it appeared that she was suffering
    from some kind of toxic poisoning. Her heart rate was 200. He mentioned that
    he had recently seen a couple of dogs who died from Blue Green Algae
    Toxicity.
    I told him that the lake had what appeared to be algae blooms on the surface
    of the water. Neither of the other two dogs showed any of the signs that
    Vita had and that neither dog took in as much water as Vita apparently did.
    We decided to put her on a ventilator overnight and give her a "chance" to
    pull through.
    When I got home I did a Dogpile.com search of "Blue Green Algae Toxicity in
    Dogs" and found some very disturbing information.
    -Blooms can occur at any time, but most often occur in late summer or early
    fall. They can occur in marine, estuarine, and fresh waters, but the blooms
    of greatest concern are the ones that occur in fresh water, such as drinking
    water reservoirs or recreational waters.
    -Some cyanobacterial blooms can look like foam, scum, or mats on the surface
    of fresh water lakes and ponds. The blooms can be blue, bright green, brown,
    or red and may look like paint floating on the water. Some blooms may not
    affect the appearance of the water. As algae in a cyanobacterial
    bloom die,
    the water may smell bad.
    -Some cyanobacteria that can form CyanoHABs (Harmful Algal Blooms) produce
    toxins that are among the most powerful natural poisons known.
    These toxins have
    no known antidotes.
    -Swallowing water that has cyanobacterial toxins in it can cause acute,
    severe gastroenteritis (including diarrhea and vomiting).
    -Liver toxicity (i.e., increased serum levels of liver enzymes).
    Symptoms of
    liver poisoning may takes hours or days to show up in people or animals.
    Symptoms include abdominal pain, diarrhea, and vomiting.
    -Kidney toxicity.
    -Neurotoxicity
    . These symptoms can appear within 15 to 20 minutes after
    exposure. In dogs, the neurotoxins can cause salivation and other neurologic
    symptoms, including weakness, staggering, difficulty breathing, convulsions,
    and death. People may have numb lips, tingling fingers and toes, or they may
    feel dizzy.
    Vita had indeed exhibited salivation and signs of weakness, staggering,
    difficulty breathing and vomiting.
    At 7:00 a.m. on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 I called the Vet and was told that
    they took Vita off the ventilator a couple of times during the night and
    that she was not breathing on her own. I told him to discontinue the
    procedure and to let her go.
    I called the DNR
    here in Michigan and was told that Blue Green Algae didn't
    usually appear this time of year and I told the agent that the conditions
    were that of late summer in Michigan, very hot for the last two days and
    reminded him that Blue Green Algae can appear at any time. He told me not to
    panic or to alarm other people. I told him that had someone else panicked,
    we wouldn't be having this conversation right now.
    Later that morning I found out from a neighbor that her two young boys had
    vomiting, diarrhea and stomach cramps last week and her Doctor suggested she
    bring in a water sample. I do not know if she did or not.
    I also talked to a woman from a neighboring county whose neighbor's dog
    ingested a lot of water from a pond and died suddenly a couple weeks ago.
    As of this writing, Wednesday, June 27th, I have not heard anything from
    Michigan State where I took Vita for a necropsy and toxoligical panel.
    For the time being, I would strongly suggest you watch your dogs when
    swimming in small lakes and ponds as the potential threat of toxic poisoning
    from Blue Green Algae is prevalent. Had I known that algae of any kind was
    toxic, you can be sure my dogs wouldn't be swimming anywhere and that Vita,
    whose name quite ironically meant "life" in Latin, would be alive today.
    Missing you more than you can imagine.
    May you rest in peace, Red Top Vita
    09/05/06 - 06/26/07
    Bob Tatus

    5997 Mabley Hill Road
    Fenton, Michigan 48430
    248-255-2111
    PERMISSION TO CROSS-POST
    Bruce
    MysticKnight Cavaliers

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    23,881
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default

    Thanks Bruce; it's very informative though very sad.

    Every year we usually have some dog deaths in Ireland due to algal blooms of this sort that get covered in the news. The blooms can definitely also be toxic to people. The local councils usually will post that a lake or pond is unsafe if they know there is a bloom but many smaller or more remote places would likely go unmarked.

    If there is flowing water this type of bloom probably will not be able to happen -- eg a stream. The blooms happen when the water gets very stale, and warms, and nutrient levels start to rise -- runoff from fertiliser can cause spikes too.

    It is scary! In summer I stick with the sea and the canal and creek where water is actively moving. There's a big pond in the park near me but I always worry that it will get a bloom in summer months when there's no new water filling it.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Westmeath, Ireland
    Posts
    866
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My god that is so sad. I have never even heard of algae blooms, my god I will be very careful letting my puppies near any water from now on. I live near lakes but I think they are ok
    Sue, Prince (B&T, DOB: 28/09/2001) & Lucy (Tri, DOB Unknown)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,036
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    29

    Default

    That is very sad. Here in Australia we too have the problem of blue-green algae in some of the dams at certain times, and the council closes them to public access. I am sure there would be some out of the way dams & ponds too that would go un-noticed.
    ~ Sam, Sonny & Beau ~

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    276
    Post Thanks / Like

    Unhappy

    That is really a tragic and horrifying story, our thoughts are with you and thank you for all of the information you have provided to eliminate the possibility that this could happen to other dogs. So sorry to hear your news...
    Emma and Renco Harvey & Bella's mum & dad

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The Midlands UK
    Posts
    3,395
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    That is truly awful, no swimming for my lot now!
    Cathryn
    Cavaliers leave pawprints in your heart and hair on everything else!!
    RE-LIVE YOUR CHILDHOOD THROUGH YOUR KIDS, THE TOYS ARE SO MUCH BETTER THESE DAYS!!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    laois ireland
    Posts
    1,282
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Oh my god never knew anything about this and i have mine in the lake at least 3-4 times aweek during the summer. we may find some where else to go now

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Herts UK
    Posts
    293
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We have a lake near us and I am sure that it is Blue Algae that is mentioned on the warning notices beside the lake. It tells you not to let dogs swim.
    Yvonne

    Mum to Harvey (blenheim) & Alfie (tri)xx

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •