• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Unbelievable Nightmare

Yaron

Last night was very traumatic and scary:

On our way back after a short walk with Paddy and Leto in the neighborhood, a cat suddenly attacked us. The cat ran straight into Paddy and attacked her. Paddy started crying. I pulled her away with her lead screaming NO as this really seemed to be my worst nightmare. That cat did not want us to pass there and attacked Leto - my retriever too. I was so concerned about Paddy especially because we had a dog show the following morning (earlier today).

Fortunately Paddy was ok and nothing visible had happened to her. We got back home to relax, had some water. I thought that the worst was over. Then the most horrifying thing happened: My own cat Tzimmes was sniffing Paddy and started growling at her like crazy. I was right next to her and before she new what was happening I immediately grabbed her in my arms to protect her from him. He jumped on me trying to reach her and actually hurt me. I shouted for help, as this was getting very scary and dangerous. I ran into another room with Paddy not before Tzimmes attacked Leto too.

This was a nightmare.I was traumatized by the experiance. I had blood and wounds from this in a few areas. I had to bath the dogs - first to rub off the smell of the other cat as well as to start preparing Paddy for her show. What a way to start the preparations for a dog show...

The cat was very scared himself and no one could go near him without him starting to growl loudly. I had to isolate him from the rest of us in a dark room to relax. I was actually afraid of him and couldn't risk Paddy anymore. Nothing like this has ever happened to me before. This cat has always been so calm and easy going.

Anyway, as we got home tonight back from the dog show the cat was back to himself and the drama is now finished. Thank God!!!

As for the show, Paddy got BOB as well as 3rd BIS in the toy group!!!

I will post some pictures in the General gallery.

I hope that others can learn from my experiance.
I love dogs and cats and understand that the cats meant no harm rather than followed their survival instincts. It is up to us to protect our gentle cavaliers from such situations.

Oh Yaron, that is scary and we seem to be having a lot of cavalier and cat clashes at the moment on the board!

I would guess the other cat's scent came off on the dogs and would not have been their friendly face hormones they rub on things they like but must have indicated aggression to your cat. I wonder what was up with the other cat; it seems very strange for a cat to attack two dogs like that though at this time of year it could have been a semi feral with kittens nearby or maybe the cat smelled your own cat on the dogs and felt it was a 'cat' invading its territory? Males can be very aggressive and territorial if unneutered.

I sure hope everyone has had time to calm down now; I think I'd need a stuff drink after all that! :yikes

After all that, how lovely that Paddy did so well and you had something to celebrate!

Thanks Karlin,

My guess is also that the cat had kittens and that it did not want us near them. The cat actually ran towards us to prevent our passage. It worked, we turned back. I think that there are many feral cats with kittens around at this time here. I am going to watch out from now on.

After all that, we actually did go out for a drink ... hehe :D

Last edited:
That's really unusual for a cat to act so aggressively when not cornered. I think you're right...she may have been protecting kittens. Glad everything settled down for you. What a mess. And congratulations on the show results!!

My goodness what a horrible experience. And wow that cats sure are acting strangely all over at the moment. It is also very distressing to see your own pets getting into each other. I guess your cat must have smelled the fear & aggression from the other cat. Pack mentality is quite a strong drive in dogs & I guess in cats too. Anyway, I hope that everything has settled down & remains that way. :flwr:

Woah thats horrible what is it with cats at the moment.... my cat attacked my puppy yesterday so I feel for you. Its really scary how much damage a cat can inflict! Hope you and your doggies are feeling a bit better now.

nasty. I'm not a cat person at all, they serve no purpose in life at all, apart from killing the wildlife. Did I mention they're nasty? And dangerous.

I am not a cat person but would not hurt one
years ago when I was young about 40 years ago there was a lady with a blind dog she told me that a cat had attack it and that was why it was blind
Aileen and the gang (Jazzie---Barney---Sam)

it is a worry were we lived before there was a huge pack of cats wild,they would all meet up in a tree then they would ambush dogs and kids.were we have moved now behind in the field there is another load of wild cats and lots of kittens,they have all ready gotten into one of the neighbours house and destoyed her sofa and poooood and weeed all over her front room,i blame the people that own them and not doing the right thing to stop breeding,our neighbour next door got a kitten i told him to get her spayed as there was alot of wild males hanging around,he didnt and she was pregnanat at 8 months and had 5 kittens he thinks it so sweet,i bet he lets the kittens roam and we end up with more wild cats,it will be intresting to see what he does.

That is a seriously scary story, I would agree that this was a Queen protecting her kittens in the nest, but what a horrific experience for your own cat to attack you too!

I am glad to hear that Paddy had a successful day again at the show, you must be very proud of her indeed! :cl*p: Don't blame you having a drink afterwards, I know I certainly would have too!! icon_whistling

Wow! How crazy, to get home and then have it happen there too is nuts! Makes sense though, considering Paddy smelled like the other cat. Has everything gone back to normal??

Back