• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

advice needed on our first time cav stay over

deborah

We have a three year old Tri coming to stay with us on Friday for a week. Cailum meet Zuppy last week for the first time and they got on quite well. Cailum was not jealous at all, Zuppy came to our house. The only thing was every now and then Cailum was thinking Zuppy was female and started climbing on top of him!!. Zuppy wasn’t having any of it and gave a little growl now and then & both settled down quite happily in each others company. I think they will get on fine but I am slightly worried as due to all the rain I will be unable to let them outside while I'm at work so they will have to stay in the hall.
I know we have the whole weekend to let them settle, but I am just worried about next week while I’ not home.

Below is the two boys when they meet up.

DSC001881.jpg

Hi!

Well if you are there to supervise them the first couple of days they are together they should be pretty OK with each other by the time you have to leave them alone. Do you crate your dog? I only ask as it might be a good idea to pop them both into a crate each whilst you are gone to minimise the chance of any "incidents"?? Just an idea is all. Whenever I go out my cuddle go into their crates, be it for 10 minutes or a couple of hours, that way I know they are safe and I also know my house won't get wrecked either!!

Hope this is of help to you??

i suppose the best thing is to keep them seperate when you are not around,for a week its not worth the worry to youselfs when you arnt going to be around.thats how i would think if it was me.jus.

If it were me, I would crate one of them just to be on the safe side.

When Chocolate came to live with us, I already had 2 adult cavs. I felt nervous about leaving them alone together at first, so I crated Chocolate in the kitchen with the other two running loose whenever I went out for about 2 weeks. She used the same large crate that I kept India in after her knee surgery.

After I had observed them for 2 weeks I felt comfortable leaving them all loose together.

Last edited:
They will almost certainly settle down after a little initial tension, but like others have already said, I would not leave them together unattended.

The only thing was every now and then Cailum was thinking Zuppy was female and started climbing on top of him!!.

Nah, Cailum knows Zuppy is a boy. Same gender mounting is a normal behaviour that can go on when one dog is trying to assert dominance. If the receiving dog is easy going or submissive it isn't a problem, but if he isn't it can flare up into a tiff, so just keep an eye on that. I don't intervent, as I think it is best to let the dogs sort these things out themselves, but it pays to just be aware.

Most likely it is all going to be fun stress free. :flwr:

I dont have crates for Prince or Lucy so when I got Lucy I got a loan of a baby gate and kept that to separate them for the first few weeks. I know you only have him for a week but as I said if you dont have crates the gate is just very handy :)

I agree with Caraline regarding the dominance mounting.

Chester is very submissive & is very quick to show his belly & lay on the floor around other dogs. When we were at Puppy Classes a little white bischon frise (think I spelt that right!) girl tried to hump him. The poor little thing tried to get away from her but she was very persisitent!

Even now when we see a little white dog he virtually crawls along the floor with his tail firmly between his legs.

What others have said is correct. I really think you need to crate at least the one of the dogs. We board dogs all the time for our puppy people (as I type this, we have 3 extra), and we would NEVER leave the boarders unattended. Probably nothing would happen, but I wouldn't take the chance. Imagine how you would feel if something did happen to either one.

On a side note, this is one reason why we really encourage people to crate train their dog even if they never intend to put it in a crate. So much less stress on the dog if you have to board it or leave it at the vet if the dog is comfortable in a crate.

Just to say thank you to you all for your support and advice. Well I need'nt have worried they were both fine, so much so that Cailum has even let him share his bed. They dont seem to mind each other at all and are very relaxed in each others company.

again thank you

DSC001971.jpg

Last edited:
That is so good to hear!! Glad that things are going OK for you with them both!! :lotsaluv:

Just to say thank you to you all for your support and advice. Well I need'nt have worried they were both fine, so much so that Cailum has even let him share his bed. They dont seem to mind each other at all and are very relaxed in each others company.

again thank you

DSC001971.jpg

i'm glad they are getting along. On a side note where did you get that bed? It looks really good - I'm sure my two would love one..... oh no feel a spending spree coming along.........

Wouldn't Oakley chew it? I actually have a rather gorgeous (and now slightly chewed) wicker basket like that. Holly used it pre-Amber. Amber however liked to chew it and it made me nervous. Now I crate them- the only exception was when Amber had been spayed. I put her in the basket in a pen and I knew she was starting to bounce back once the tried chewing the thing again. Shame though because they really are beautiful baskets.

Back