Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unwell Cav - Suspected Kennel Cough or poor immune system?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Unwell Cav - Suspected Kennel Cough or poor immune system?

Hi All

Just looking for a little advice.

Ever since we brought our tri Rio home from the breeders almost 10 months ago he has had occasional spells of being ill. He has had his on and off days where he has been very lethargic, hardly drinking and eating.

His appetitie has gotten much better since he was neutered 2-3 months ago, however our neighbours have taken on a rescue pup from Glasgow Cat and Dog Home who is around 3-4 months old. He has been with them now for a week. The two dogs will be sharing the same garden as we live in a communal building however the garden is very big.

The only thing is that Charlie the new neighbour pup has had a bad bout of kennel cough while in the kennels and is on cough medication etc, however we read that it can be easily contracted through the air, just like the human flu or common cold.

Rio has had some bouts of diarrohea during the very early hours of the morning too and is very lethargic not wanting to eat or drink over the last day or two. He woke up on Monday very snuffly but it seems to have passed and occasionally has had some slight sneezing. To our knowledge our vets told us that they aren't vaccinated against kennel cough its not an injection but drops up the nostrils. The neighbour dog had a high fever last Wednesday and Rio is now in his crate, nose is warm and will hardly look at you, his urine is also very flourescent yellow, its becoming worrying.

Could he have contracted the kennel cough from Charlie? As we have kept them apart ever since we knew the pup had it they have only seen each other through the garden gate but not touched noses.

If he's no better by Friday, he will be going straight to the Vets.

Does anyone have any advice on this?
    Love Melissa, Rio and Family

"A dog has no use for fancy cars big homes or designer clothes. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about?"

Post Thanks / Like

I would take him to the vets as soon as possible please keeps us informed----Aileen and the gang (Jazzie---Barney---Sam)
    cavaliers at the bridge Mattie and Rocky & Sam & Jake
    Better to light a candle for one lost dog than to curse the darkness of man's indifference. Saving just one dog won't change the world but it surely will change the world for that one dog.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Why wait until Friday? I would take him in today if he were mine.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I agree; this is a dog that urgently should go to the vets and Friday is way too far away -- a lethargic dog that remains lethargic and not eating and has changed urine -- any of these things -- for more than 24 hours needs to get a vet's attention immediately. If you are ever in any question, then ring to ask as vets will tell you whether this is urgent or what you can try first before needing to bring him in, if it isn't urgent. But this sounds like something is very wrong. Let us know what the vets say.

If Rio regularly has days where he is lethargic and won't eat I'd want to the vets to be looking into that for an explanation. If he has a compromised immune system that is a very serious condition -- there is going to be a reason why and that needs to be determined as a matter of importance.

Kennel cough is highly contagious. It can be deadly to a dog that is already ill. The vaccine has to be given a few days before possibe exposure and is either an injection or a nasal spray but the spray is considered nore effective. It lasts about 6 months and vets can advise when it is needed (generally for dogs that will be boarded).
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice we are taking him up there now, this is our first dog so we don't know much about doggy illnesses except what we read through the Net. Will let you all know
    Love Melissa, Rio and Family

"A dog has no use for fancy cars big homes or designer clothes. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about?"

Post Thanks / Like

Mary Alice and Rosie have kennel cough and have been put on antibiotics.

Rosie had the intranasal vaccine a couple of weeks ago, that seems to be how they got it. (It's a live vaccine, can make them ill).

When I first called the vets, I was asked to wait a week, see if it cleared up....but they just got worse, so we went in asap.

Now, they need to be on pills for 10 days and away from other dogs for awhile after the cough settles down.

I'm not very happy about this situation, not at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there!!

Yes Kennel cough can be passed very easily, I agree with the others that immediate vet attention is needed in your case!! I will be watching and waiting for an update on your beloved Rio!!
    Cathryn
    Cavaliers leave pawprints in your heart and hair on everything else!!
    RE-LIVE YOUR CHILDHOOD THROUGH YOUR KIDS, THE TOYS ARE SO MUCH BETTER THESE DAYS!!

Post Thanks / Like

How did Rio get on at the vets ?
    Sarah, Lady, Daisy and Billy

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Fingers cross that the vet can get this sorted quickly. I haven't got anything to add over the sage advice that has already been given.
    ~ Sam, Sonny & Beau ~

Post Thanks / Like

Any news on Rio
    ----Aileen and the gang?(Jazzie---Barney---Sam)
    cavaliers at the bridge Mattie and Rocky & Sam & Jake
    Better to light a candle for one lost dog than to curse the darkness of man's indifference. Saving just one dog won't change the world but it surely will change the world for that one dog.