• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Unwell Cav - Suspected Kennel Cough or poor immune system?

I was so hopeing that when I look this morning that he would be on his to being better please keep us imformed
----Aileen and the gang (Jazzie----Barney----Sam)

HI!

Sorry to hear that little Rio is still not eating, and not picking up very fast, sometimes they need to get the medication combination just right, it can take a day or two for the medication to really take effect and for you to notice a difference. Right now sleep is the best thing for him as it will help him to fight this virus and heal himself!

Hang in there, I am sure that Rio will soon be back to his usual bouncy and shiny self again!! :hug: :hug:

Oh Melissa, this has bought a tear to my eye because I can really feel your pain & fear. Rio is having a rought time, poor little fellow. Sometimes the antibiotics can make them very nauseous too. I sure hope he starts to come good really feast. My thoughts are with you both. :hug:

Hi All

Just thought I would let you all know Rio has made a full recovery. With the antibiotics he has become his mad little devil self again. He came back to life suddenly the late hours of Saturday night, still isn't eating his adult food yet, but think this may be to do with the antibiotics as they could still be making him feel like yuk. We just switched him onto adult food on Monday of last week and he also became unwell on Wednesday so thats really the last time he's eaten a full meal. We gave him a little tuna over the weekend, something light but he just skimmed over it.

We are really glad he's back to being better again and hope that in the future we have no more scares like this again.

Thank you all for your support :)

Hi Melissa!

I am so very glad to hear that Rio is doing so well again!! It might be worth building him up with Satin Balls initially, great for convalescing dogs, just don't let on to him that he's been ill, he's forgotten that bit already!! :lol:

I'm so happy to hear that little Rio is doing so much better. I just saw this post this morning and was reading it on the edge of my seat. I'm so happy the outcome is positive. Way to go Rio!!! Keep it up.

Hello

My Harvey was born with Immune Deficency Disorder, from day one he had problems, constant diarrohea and he caught every little bug going including a very bad bout of chest infection which took weeks and weeks to clear...

Our vets who were brilliant throughout suggested that it was very unsual for a such a young puppy to get all these illnesses espcially the chest infection as this is normally an older dog illness.

They suggested Harvey had a special blood test that had to be sent away to america as there is knowhere in the UK that is able to do the test.

It took a nail biting 2 weeks for the tests to return and it confirmed that Harvey had been born with Immune Deficency Disorder. Which means he can catch bugs easier than normal Cavs and it takes him alot longer to shift the bug once he's got it!

Thankfully he has been 100% healthy for 4 months now - the only thing we can do to prevent him catching bugs is to not take him places where there are alot of dogs walked - the risk is higher in those places that not all the dogs are up to date with their vaccinations.

I am so please that Rio has made a full recovery, it is very upsetting to see your baby so poorly!

So glad to hear Rio is back to his fiesty self! Thanks for the update and give him lots of hugs from my crew! :luv:

I agree with Nikki, my new little boy keeps bringing snails and slugs into the house, the two girls look at him like he is mad. I don't think he has eaten one yet - but they are full of all sorts of horrible things ........

Hi All

Just thought I would give you an up to dated version of Rio's health now.

He has finished his course of antibiotics now, he was prescribed Surolax. I believe this is for viral infections. Anyway the mad one is back and boy is he raring to go. His rescue pal terrier cross Charlie who looks like a terrier but built like a whippet or greyhound also got the all clear from the vets for his kennel cough too. :)

Rio's really making up for lost time he is so much more snuggly now wanting to just cuddle in when we get in from work/shopping. I think he realised he gave us all quite a scare. My dad has been looking into Rio's background since we got him. Unfortunately we didn't know much about Cavaliers at the time when we got him, such as illnesses etc and we got him from an advert in the yellow papers here in Scotland. Dad now believes he may have came from a backyard breeder, as he has been on and off ill ever since we got him.

Dad called the breeder and asked if any of the other pups in the litter had ever been unwell and she said she only bred "healthy" pups. Dad ended up explaining all of Rio's illnesses and constant trips to the vet, she didnt have much to say and didnt really want to speak to him about Rio and his siblings. We had originally planned on a female but we were told that she had a heart murmur. Now my Dad wishes he could have asked for some type of paperwork to prove this for his sister as from reading info from Cavalier Talk he believes we could have saved her for being used as breeding material and that the breeder could have been lying to us. I really wish we had taken both of them.

We wouldn't change Rio for the world, we have been so lucky with him, we have no torn up carpets or wood etc, he is the perfect pooch to us. I just wish we had saved his sister from whatever life this breeder is giving her.

When I move out of home and consider having my own cavalier I will know to make sure what to look for in a reputable breeder.

Just makes me so angry, he is perfect in every way apart from his ill health from time to time.

Sorry just had to vent.

Thank you all again for your support.

I am so glad you gave us an update, and thank goodness Rio is better. What a kind heart you have for wishing you had taken the little girl even though she was not well. Again, it is a testimony about how very important it is to do your research and be patient before you get your baby.

Back