• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My Dog eats his POO!

noelie

Hi,

I have a heallthy dog who is full of life and happy. He is about 7 months old now and housetrained. We have a board and lethim go on it.

During the day I work. Lately when I get home I realise he has been eating his poo.

He has plenty of food left out for him which he eats.

How can I stop this & Can it cause him any harm ?

Thanks.

Noelie

My dog does this aswell, but i try and watch him now and again he will do it with me noticing!

Can i ask you y u leave ur dog food to eat while u are not there? also what hrs do u work?

No advice on the poo eating but I really think you should feed him at the same time every day, not leave the food out with him all day.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response.
I work 9 - 5. Its too long to leave him I Know.

I am hoping to get a new dog for company for him. Why should I not leave food out all day?

I just try to make sure he has enough food to eat when I aint there.

Noelie

I also work 9 - 5, I leave my house at 7.45 and I get home at 5.30, The dogs are fine on their own, I feel terrible guilty leaving them but they are ok. I only got Lucy last month so Prince was on his own for that length of time and he was fine. You should try to get him into a routine, feed him at the same time every day, after you have eaten. When I get in from work, I have my own dinner then when I am finished the dogs get theirs.

When I brought Lucy home she wouldnt eat her dinner the first day, I left it down for 15mins then took it back up, she soon realised that if she doesnt eat it she wont get any until the next day. Your dog needs routine and for you to be his pack leader.

It's Long but he is fine i bet, when u get another dog the two of them will keep each other company!

You are better off feeding him twice a day and not leaving food around for him during the day, i would feed him before u leave and let him go to the toilet before you go and then feed him when u get home around 5 and he will go to the toilet then as you will then have control of what he is doing and you will be able to watch him.

It was driving me mad as freddie was doing that alot (eating poo) but i keep watch of him and would say "leave it" and he has stopped doing it now :)!

Thanks for the ideas.

I will feed him twice daily.

If I feed him a can of Pedigree and some biscuits mixed. About how much should he eat per feeding or should I say how much should I give him.?

Noel

my lab did this as well,the only thing that works is pick up straight away,if we caught him we would clap our hands to startle him,then pick up.i was wondering if alfs would do this after being in the kennels for a wekk,i know they cant pick up straight away and if alfs got board in there he might try to eat it but thank god he hanst showed signs of wanting to since he got home.

Lots of dogs poo eat and as gross as it is, it won't do him any harm. Just don't kiss him on the lips :razz:

I would not be leaving food out for him all day long, as this is only going to make him poop more, and there will be more for him to eat. If you give him his main meal when you get home from work, there will be time for it to pass through and provided you give him plenty of time to go to the toilet in the morning, he will be able to go all day without pooping.

Also, try to leave lots of toys out for him to play with. Chances are he's getting bored.

Back