• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What is with AKC??

Bruce H

I can't believe what I'm reading! Take a look at AKC's Conditional Registration http://www.akc.org/news/index.cfm?article_id=3257

Am I reading this right? If I have an unidentifiable dog, the offspring can be registered conditionally? How many people buying a puppy will know what the Q in front of the number means?

I have to believe this is going to create quite an uproar among reputable breeders. Another good reason to buy a CKCSC registered puppy where there is no such thing as Conditional Registration. Either it's purebred or it isn't.

Last edited:
This is confusing. It says it's only for dogs believed to be purebred, and refers to dogs who are DNA tested. Bruce, do most people have DNA of their dogs on file? I noticed on the OFA website some dogs have DNA records.

DNA testing is commonly done by reputable breeders and is required by CKCSC. Every dog we own and every puppy we sell is DNA'd. So what they are saying is if a question arises from this DNA testing, just give it a Conditional.

The whole point is that AKC is for registering purebred dogs and a dog being purchased that is AKC registered should be purebred. Technically, AKC is no longer a purebred registry because they allow conditional registration.

It's just very irritating for me and many others. My wife Kris follows a number of other breeder lists and the lists are on fire over this.

I know I'm over-simplifying and exagerating, but how do I now distinguish between the AKC and the bogus registries?

oh that is just unbelievable - there would be an absolute outcry if that happened here in teh UK too.

Bruce, does this mean that you can get a pup without AKC papers and still get it registered as AKC? If that is the case, this is going to burn for awhile.

Back