• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Gabapentin - high liver enzymes?

Nicki

My Ruby, TedBear, has been on Gabapentin for 14 months. He's just had a
blood panel run as per Clare Rusbridge's recommendation, checking for
liver function.

The results have just come back and are worrying - very high for liver
enzymes. He is going back on Monday for a full elimination test, where
he will be fasted overnight, blood taken, given a meal and then further
blood taken 2 hours later. Hopefully this will give us a better idea of
what is happening.

Obviously he has to stay on Gabapentin - he is on a combination of
treatments including supplements and homoeopathy, but if any of these
are stopped then there is a very noticeable deterioration. Normally he
is actually very well, despite having a poor scan and multiple syrinxes.

Has anyone else had this result with Gabapentin please?

***have posted this in both general health and SM/MVD forum***

Hi Nicki!

Sorry have no experience with this either but just wanted you to know I will be thinking of you on Monday when TedBear goes back in, :xfngr: that you can get to the bottom of this and balance his medication in such a way as to still make him comfortable but lower those enzyme levels as well! Great Big Kiss for TedBear and ahuge and Gentle :hug: as well!!

Thanks Cathryn and Caraline - having a busy weekend doing some research and trying to come up with some suggestions - current idea is to try to eliminate the cause, so perhaps move him from Gabapentin to Metacam and then re test in a few weeks/a month, and see if his liver copes better with that, as long as he is still getting enough pain relief.

Also looking into liver diets and supplements...

It's raining and horrid here - was hoping to get out for a nice walk today but it's not going to happen :(

good luck to you and TedBear on monday. i hope you can find a solution that keeps him comfortable! :hug:

k

Back