• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

cup sizes???

angie

how do you measure your cup sizes as i am confused :( we weigh ours (i do grams at mo but oz still count) but when i read you give 1/2 cup or 1/3 cup etc i dont know how much you mean as one site i read said it depended on your cup size. tea cup, or big jug cup and all the cups in between!!!!! so do you have a general cup measurement or do you all go around with different size beakers from egg cups to buckets :) :) :) ???

I have to admit my mind was going down the same tack, Karlin....

But thanks for the clarification. I always wondered about what precisely a 'cup' was, since I think of a cup as a tea cup and a third of a teacup would be oh.... let's see, maybe 15 bits of kibble?!

I thought this was going to be a racy discussion on bra sizes! :rotfl:

I have to admit my mind was going down the same tack, Karlin....

But thanks for the clarification. I always wondered about what precisely a 'cup' was, since I think of a cup as a tea cup and a third of a teacup would be oh.... let's see, maybe 15 bits of kibble?!

:rotfl: :lol:

Yup! Me too!

I have always thought of the "cup" system as being a American system, especially after my sister sent me a lovely recipe book of truly amazing U.S recipes and a set of spoons all relating to being a cup, half a cup etc, etc!!

So basically half a cup is 4 Oz's and so on!!

ummm...i wasnt thinking bra sizes when I read that subject!! I was wondering where this was going!! Thats so funny...:)

I thought this was going to be a racy discussion on bra sizes! :rotfl:

I thought the same, especially as I bought two new ones, yesterday.

I always wondered about 'cup'as in cookery, too. There are cup measuremnets on a lot of pyrex jugs and measures for appliances, but we certainly have a wide variation in size of real ones.

ummm...i wasnt thinking bra sizes when I read that subject!! I was wondering where this was going!! Thats so funny...:)

That is funny, Holly, as I was going down the same you road you were...!!

I love that this site is international... the words and expressions that are used are interesting to hear (and figure out the meaning of!).

-laura

The British imperial measures are slightly larger than US cup, pint and gallon by the way. If you are out in the US it can be useful to get a cheap set of plastic or metal measuring cups, though you can also find conversions to metric pretty easily (also you can use Google's search box to just get conversions; I do this all the time).

Actually, I was in Debenhem's in Exeter in Devon UK and bought a lovely stainless steel set of measuring cups - these are exactly the same as American measuring cups (only nicer!). I have a few English and Scottish cookbooks I couldn't use because I don't know how to measure (by weight?) and the oven settings say mark 4, etc. Most of the newer cookbooks have the oven temp in degrees C and F, so that's helpful.

We weigh using scales ! :D

Traditinally UK gas cookers were graded in 'marks', but electric cookers have as far back as I remember been in C or F. Most cookery books or food packages carry C and F settings, but I've not seen a cooker with F for a very long time.

We do small food packages, too, like 1 litre of milk. Half litres are less common, now , in supermarket cartons, but milkmen still deliver pint glass bottles. We have butter and margarine in 250g packs (smaller in some brands). Fruit juice cartons are mainly one litre....so we don't need walk in fridges:D

Back