• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Off lead

freesia

When did you first let your pups off their leads?

I thought I would try it with Barney yesterday in the fields. I made sure the cows were no where near and that there were no other dogs.

I was terrifed incase he took off though. Anyhow, I kept checking to see where he was and thought I had lost him a few times because I couldn't see him. He was walking so close behind me, I had to turn right round to see him and he was walking to heel quite a bit.

When he found a new bit to sniff, I just kept walking and he would come full pelt and sometimes run past but he would wait for me. He even got hold of something and I called him over and told him to leave it, he dropped it straight away, it was a mouse that looked like it had been dead a while yuk.
I was just chuffed to bits because he was a good boy. Don't know about doing that in the park yet though, because there are more people and dogs there. Barney is nearly 5 months old now.

We tried again today and he was so good again.:D

Never-- I have a 5 year old champion boy who went through 1 year(5classes) of obedience-- I still won't risk him off leash.

I worked with Jaspar to make sure he was excellent on recall then let him offlead in safe areas like the beach and open areas of the Phoenix Park (very large park) from when he was probably 7 months or so. He is very attentive and closely bonded and is the one I can trust completely off lead (but always in safe areas away from traffic). I routinely have all three off lead at the beach or the park where they like to run and run and play fetch and swim. I put Lily back onlead if other dogs approach though as she gets barky and sometimes, snappy. :rolleyes: I'd never have them offlead anywhere close to traffic and never on the street or pavements. I also work with all three regularly to reinforce recall with treats -- we did that today in the park. :) They need to be constantly 'quizzed and rewarded' so to speak to keep commands fresh.

Depends on the dog itself really, some learn the recall quicker than others, sounds like you have the right idea though, work in a quiet area to begin with and work up to the park gradually! As Karlin says never trust a Cavalier anywhere near a busy road/area, cavaliers are notoriuosly bad when it comes to Traffic sense, a top Irish breeder once lost one of her top show dogs under a car, so sad!

One thing I will add is that if your dog feels you have confidence in him, he will feel more secure and happier to return to you than if you are panicking and screaming!

Thanks for your replies, he actually stayed closer to me than when I have an extension on him and came back immediately on recall. he also stopped when he was told to, when he was going to chase a bird. I wouldn't trust him with dogs though because he just runs to them all and some don't like pups.

I would let a puppy off lead as soon as it could go out ( in a very safe place of course) then it is never a novelty to them

I would let a puppy off lead as soon as it could go out ( in a very safe place of course) then it is never a novelty to them

dito that. i was told this when jadan was very young and he would be to cautious to go to far but if left to long and too old that he would probably bolt off as it would be a novelty and hadnt needed to mastered the recal because was always on lead. to be honest though....recall IS a big thing. Just think of all those dogs that are rehomed and the new training they are given by their new owners. whether they were previously on or off lead. you would start from day one to train your way wouldnt you. :)

We rarely have the dogs on leads, they have always been very good at recall and sticking around, they only ever run off within sight to sniff something out or get pets from a passerby. Neither has ever shown tendency to chase birds or animals or people, they just like to say hi and come back to mom & dad. We never let them off leash around the street or cars or anything like that...

We let ours off lead in the back yard which is totally fenced ;) .

We found out a few years back that even our most reliable girl would take off when she saw a squirrel.

I let my girls off lead in a field beside my house but only when there is no human or dog around because they feel compelled to say hello to everyone! Every 3-4 minutes I recall them and reward with big hugs and pats.

I would never let them off lead anywhere else, I just wouldn't trust them.

We let ours off lead in the back yard which is totally fenced ;) .

We found out a few years back that even our most reliable girl would take off when she saw a squirrel.

This is our issue also. It isn't that they aren't trained. You say, "front" and that boys slippers are brushing your feet--- BUT if there is a squirrel or a child across the street-- he feels compelled to go get them. Over the years we have had a couple get 'out' and that feeling that they may run off and get hit isn't worth it.

Only in our fenced in yard, I don't think you can trust them if they would see another animal.
judy

I let mine off lead in all areas that aren't roads with cars ever since she could first go outside for walks. Her recall is natural as when she was a young puppy she was never eager to stray. Now, she's more confident with this independence & feels secure wandering a little bit as long as she keeps an eye on me. She's fine in gardens, paths & parks. She'll run upto to someone to say hello & will come back once she's had a sniff. She doesn't feel the need to run after birds, rabbits, cats or other dogs & when she does see another dog, she looks at me to see what she should do.

This is a beachy area we go to. It's completely fenced in and the dogs can't go anywhere....except into the water (and with Jake...that ain't gonna happen ;) ) Can you see those two little dogs? Those are my dogs. They always run ahead and come running back. I feel totally safe here because even if Shelby goes running off to chase a bird there's nowhere off the island for her to go.

DSCN0327.jpg

I never would have let them do this until I knew they would come back and they were totally and completely safe.

We take both dogs every day to what we call safe walks where there are no roads, we have a massive park near us and marshes behind us. Watching dogs off lead running back to you as fast as they can with their ears flying behind them is one of my most favourite sights.

Mine's 10 months and he's only got to see another person or another dog and he's off. Recall training goes totally out of the window!

Not everybody appreciates him though. He's too friendly for his own good. ;/

I know what you mean. Occassionally, especially when on walks where there aren't many people, Aoife runs upto people but those that aren't interested just walk on. Though, those that stop to pet her & then walk on are more of a challenge.. She's getting better, though, she knows who feeds her after all. ;)

We take both dogs every day to what we call safe walks where there are no roads, we have a massive park near us and marshes behind us. Watching dogs off lead running back to you as fast as they can with their ears flying behind them is one of my most favourite sights.

Agreed. I love it so much! The little ears make me think she will take off! Aww. She's at my sisters' at the moment (I've just come back from a trip to London) & I miss her. :(

Cathy, what beach is that? We have always taken them to the Coronado dog beach, which is nice but last time my mom almost got bonked by a golf ball some guy hit out of the naval golf course next to the beach. :shock: :swear:

Back