• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Vaccanations

sallymum

Sally is due her booster next month. Have been reading up on it and cant decide to get it done or wait and do it every 3 years.
Nearly decided to wait and get it done every 3 years but.....

Anyone any opinion on this.

I recommend every three years as there is such ample evidence that they don't need a vax any more frequently than this. This is the recommendation now of all the major US vet schools. Also many Irish vets have already switched to this schjeme -- Anicare for example sent out info to clients noting every three years is recommended. This is for the basic vax though -- most vets in Ireland will recommend doing the leptospirosis every year because this is a concern in most of Ireland. This is the only vax I get annually.

The only thing i would be worried about is, would kennels take them in if they only got done every 3 years. I know when my lot went in a couple of weeks ago they had to show their cards so would this be a prob.
Also what is leptospirosis vac for.

The only thing i would be worried about is, would kennels take them in if they only got done every 3 years. I know when my lot went in a couple of weeks ago they had to show their cards so would this be a prob.
Also what is leptospirosis vac for.

Lepto is a disease that is zoonotic (meaning it can be spread to humans)-- but it isn't all that common in some areas of the USA-- small dogs can have reactions to the shot. My vet doesn't give it to toys-- he suggests it for outdoor dogs and hunting dogs.

Some places accept titers as proof of immunity from a disease. titering is a blood test where they look for specific antibody levels.

Lepto is for the illness also often called Weir's Disease in people -- it tends to be spread through rat urine. There are a few cases of it every year in Ireland with dogs and most of these die -- and there have been some serious human cases as well with kayakers on rivers and so forth. Because of our damp weather, abundance of waterways etc my vets definitely advocate this and as my dogs get walked in grasslands and parks and swim in lakes, rivers and canals and wade in the creek nearby I wouldn;t personally risk not getting it for them. It makes sense to discuss with your vet about the level of incidence and whether to get it, but as far as I know all vets in Ireland would always routinely give this to dogs so it would be a normal part of the old style annual vaccine. It can be given separately on its own.

You need to talk to kennels about the three year vaccine. All the kennels I use accept a 3-year vaccine. :) BTW I don;t vaccinate any of my animals after age 7 for the general vax, dogs or cats. By that time many vets feel and many studies indicate they have lifetime immunity whereas a vax can seriously stress an older animal's immune system.

Back