• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

The Bad Food Scare from Iams to Roy's

goldcountryrose

If this has been discussed in detail, I apologize for missing it, but this has really been bothering me, and I need to know what others think or know.

What struck me most about the "poison" food is that so many brands were affected. From the very top premium brands to the lowest priced, such as Roy's at WalMart.

What does that mean? Does it mean, as I suspect, that the same manufacturers are producing multiple brands and totally ripping us off?

I have always felt that Iams and Science Diet were not better than, say, Pedigree, because of the corn content primarilly.

Here in the U.S., Pedigree was one of a very few brands that had no recalls on any of their foods, while their tripple priced competetors had multiple recalls. What does that mean?

I'm not trying to say that Pedigree is a great food, but apparently, they do not use poison imported ingredients. and What does that mean?

I have spent 12.00 for a 4 pound bag of Royal Canine, and as much for other brands. Oh, and just FYI, all regular dog foods have increased in price, by at least 30-40% since the scare. Why would Pedigree dry, or Purina dry, or other common brands raise their prices so dramatically? Another rip off?

Has there been any publications about all of this that one of you might refer me to? I don't know why, but it has really Pi**ed me off, I suspect tho, that it is because we were given so little information as to why the premiums were affected equally as the cheapest food you can buy.

I think the guy who was the food minister in China who let all of this happen has been put to death.he was taking back handers,a lot of kids died in china because of tainted medicines,food and even toothpaste.UNBELIEVABLE.

I would imagine the main reason behind the price increases, including the non affected brands is because they are having to find other sources for the ingredients now, so there is competition, the manufacturers/suppliers of these ingredients will also have to source MORE and this will push the prices up, although really they should go down but hey that's business for you!!

Happily I know for a fact that RC here in the UK have a statement on their website stating that their feed is safe as the ingredients involved were sourced from other area's luckily!!

No, the man in China put to death was not the person connected to the food scare. He was taken backhanders from the pharmaceutical industry to allow manufacture of questionable prescription drugs. Adding melamine to imitate a higher protein content in pet feed is not a pharma activity and has been ongoing in the food industry for a very long time in SOME corners in China. I read an article on exactly that topic months before the pet food issue even arose and when that stpry broke it all sounded very familiar. The price and quality of the food brands had nothing to do with this scandal either. Price however has been affected post the scandal as China was a less expensive source of some ingredients which now have to be sourced elsewhere. Domestic prices for these ingredients is going to be much higher.

Many quality brands remained totally unaffected by the food problems (Royal Canin being one -- their affected food was a separate brand and manufacturer they own that produces special diets) and many low quality brands WERE affected. It had nothing to do with low or high quality of the food. It had to do with the source of ingredients that nearly all manufacturers use and also where the food was manufactured. Some plants received tainted shipments and others did not. Almost no European brands were affected even thugh they use the same ingredients because they did not buy ingredients from China (Royal Canin sources domestically in the EU) or not from the same source. The European brands affected as fas as I understand were all foods imported into Europe from the affected Canadian and US sources.

The fact that some low quality dog brands like Pedigree did not shift significantly in price is down to one thing: it uses so few quality (higher cost) igredients in the first place. In other words it is primarily filler and very litle quality meat protein. I would never feed a food like Pedigree -- I have seen what happens to my dogs when being fed it at kennels, which is they get gas, their stools get larger and sloppy and increase in smell, and I get gastric problems in Lily, my dog who is prone to problems, that last for days afterward. She has no such problems on quality brands like James Wellbeloved or Royal Canin, raw or homecooked diets. So I board them with their own food and won't allow them to be fed Pedigree.

Corn is NOT of itself a poor quality ingredient or a bad ingredient, nor is wheat or other grains/carbohydrates. While they DO cause allerges in a very small number of dogs (just as they do in a very small number of humans), you must have some sort of binding agent to make kibble! (and oddly many of those who won't use wheat/corn in a kibble feed commercial treats all the time that use, yes, wheat/corn). You cannot simply form kibble from meat and bake it. It would be like making a cake or cookies without any flour -- some sort of starch has to hold it together. Corn and rice and wheat and sometimes potato are used as binders for kibble. They all add very useful fiber content as well and help slow absorption of nutrients and offer easy to digest carbohydrates, also useful to cats and dogs. One thing that does make me laugh sometimes is people getting worked up over whether corn is something dogs would 'naturally' eat, yet they are giving them fish oil and herbal supplements, kelp extracts and who knows what else. I posted the ingredients list a while back from a kibble that offers itself as being close to a natural diet for wolves -- yet there are ingredients on it no wolf has ever seen but a lot of human diners at expensive restaurants would have. :rolleyes:

I posted before on a similar thread that the major causes of allergy in dogs are according to UCD Vet SChool: beef, chicken, milk, eggs. After that comes things like corn and wheat. I have never understood the obsession with removing corn out of a dog's diet from people adding yoghurt, egg, and chicken regularly to dog diets, and offering rawhides and bully sticks (beef based treats), or any of the many canned foods or dog biscuits or supermarket kibbles with, say, *sugar* (start reading the ingredients lists and see how many have sugar!!). Much commercial dog food also has beef in some form or another. Crap foods like pedigree use 'meat products', 'bone meal', meat derivatives', 'fat' and other vague products wth no specific protein source which means it almost certainly is rendered protein from mixed sources including, yes, beef and chicken. So dietary problems are always far more likely with poor quality foods and are far more likely to be caused by the MEAT PROTEIN SOURCE than grains.

It's important to add that chicken, beef, eggs and dairy are HEALTHY good quality ingredients for food for the vast majority of dogs. :) I feed all of these, all the time. It is just that IF you have a dog showing signs of allergy it makes sense to try 12 week elimination diets for these common ingredients to see if the dog improves. But it is more imortant to eliminate the protein sources listed than the grain sources!! And as processed meat in kibble/canned offers NO fibre content (in the way raw meat diets would) dogs NEED fibre from somewhere and grains can be a good source of this, often the ONLY source for many domestic animals.

Bottom line: do research, learn to understand nutrition, don't believe what 'someone' says on a board or list with absoutely no scientific reference point. Remember most dogs, as most people, do best on a varied and complete diet and allergies and food intolerances are not very common. Also: you get what you pay for. I like medium range foods whose ingredients lists I have examined carefully. Cheap foods are going to use fillers and cheap protein. Expensive foods may just be lots of hype and hyped stylish ingredients. Use your noggin to research these topics and find what suits you and your dogs best. (y)

If you want to read one of the best and most practical discussions on how to feed a dog and all the silly myths out there on ingredients, read:

http://woodhavenlabs.com/dogfoods.html

Also a good general explanation on dog food ingredients, how to understand labels, and why cheap supermarket foods are low quality choices:

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

And yes, nearly all dog food brands, just as nearly all human food brands, are generally owned and operated by a tiny handful of conglomerates. The same issues that affect dog food can easily affect human food. Pedigree is owned by Mars/Masterfoods, the single largest pet food brand conglomerate. Pedigree has had recalls of foods before -- for example in 2004 in the Philippines.

PS None of our food prices changed at all here in Ireland.

Just a reminder that Iams and Science Diet are not considered to be premium dog food brands!

Please check the dog food analysis link that Karlin posted above to find out which foods are rated as 5-star and 6-star. Most, if not all, of the top rated brands were not recalled because the ingredients are carefully sourced and inspected.

Thanks for that Karlin, that answered my question about corn. You're right about sugar, it's in almost all dog foods.

Back