Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Our baby girl... is born!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Our baby girl... is born!

Hello everyone. I'm Brika. I'm here because we just bought a new cav! We're thrilled... and worried too. We have been researching Cav's for a year now, and we're delighted to add one to our family, but I'm hoping we didn't make a mistake by buying from the breeder that we did.

She's from Iowa and sounds great. We found her online, which I see now is a no no. Too late, I sent deposit. Puppies were born last Saturday the 7th. We can pick her up at 7 weeks if all goes well. I'm hoping that this is a reputable breeder... but I'm worried because she doesn't register with AKC... she uses APR and ACA? I've now read they are scam registries. Now we're not going to breed or show... we just want an indoor snuggle pet. (we now have two chocolate labs, one bunny, and one cat!) I do child care and we are home all day and everthing I've read about Cavs says they love to be on your lap and loved... that's what I want.

More on the breeder... she's had two litters with her momma. This is her 2nd. The momma had 8 pups... 6 girls 2 boys all blenheims. We are 5th on the list to choose from the girls.

We will be driving to pick her up, she does ship but prefers to have you pick up. She doesn't sell to pet stores. She doesn't show her dogs, but breeds three other breeds as well. She says her husband is a neat freak and lysols daily, she decorates for Christmas in their kennels, etc. She wouldn't let me make a deposit until she'd spoken with both myself and my husband on the phone... she says she wants to be sure that her dogs are placed with loving families.

The price was much cheaper than anyone else we've checked with... that worried me too, but she assured me that she does want to make money but isn't in it FOR the money.

So, we've sent our deposit and are cautiously hopeful that all is well.

We're very excited!

What is your advice on our transaction?

... OH, she does have an exam that she'll have done before we pick her up... some exam she says she does before they can cross state lines? 50$ extra.

What should I look out for? What books do you reccommend as far as puppy training? What products are a must have and what products are FUN?

Thanks so much! We're excited to be here!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I know you will feel a strong attachment and a lot of excitement now and won;t want to hear this, but please: ask for your deposit back and use a reputable health focused breeder. Your lower cost dog is very likely going to cost you more long term in health issues and you also won't be supporting someone who obviously cares very little about this breed. This woman is most likely either a backyard breeder, a broker for puppy mill dogs, or a puppy miller pretending to only sell cavaliers. None of these is someone you want to go near. Many of our board members have experienced terrible heartbreak in getting sickly puppies from such people.

The sham registries are there not for producing good health pet quality puppies as an alternative to the real registries but because shoddy breeders cannot get the better quality dogs to breed and also fully intend to dupe unwary buyers into thinking these meaningless registries actually confer some kind of quality mark and health guarantee on the dog. They don't -- just the opposite. These registries only exist to make money off the shoddy breeders. Which they do. But their 'registration' means absolutely nothing.

People here will be happy to help you find a better breeder.

Also please consider that this is a breed that is prone to some potentially costly health issues. If a few hundred dollars matter a lot in purchasing cost, have you considered how to manage potentially large vet costs? For any dog this is always a central consideration but especially so with a purebred -- you need to pick an excellent health focused breeder and need to be able to manage possible health costs/insure the dog.

The Library section has some really good links about what to consider when finding a dog, what to ask the breeder as a minimu, what health certs to be shown, health issues, etc. Sounds like you are getting some good reading done now and I'd be sure to have a good look over all that material.

Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Karlin,

thanks for your reply. I appreciate your advice. I'm just wondering if it's not a possiblity that this is a good breeder?

It seems that if she wants us to come pick up the puppy, doesn't sell to brokers or pet stores, etc. That she may be a good breeder who isn't interested in AKC registration.

I'm going now to read in the library some more questions and go from there. Hopefully I can decide what to do here.

I am excited and thrilled to be getting a new friend... but I do want to be careful. I appreciate your help!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brika View Post

The price was much cheaper than anyone else we've checked with... that worried me too, but she assured me that she does want to make money but isn't in it FOR the money.

I don't really get how those comments go together , if you want to make a profit you are in it for the money.

& whats decorating the kennels at xmas got to do with anything ? That makes me think she's trying too hard to prove she loves her dogs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AT View Post
    I don't really get how those comments go together , if you want to make a profit you are in it for the money.

& whats decorating the kennels at xmas got to do with anything ? That makes me think she's trying too hard to prove she loves her dogs.

She's a grandma who is retired... she was saying that she does it to make some money... but doesn't feel that charging 2000$ and up is realistic. I was paraphrasing for her.

The decorating thing was part of her story on how excited she was to have a litter born on 7-7-7... she was telling me all about her grandkids coming over to see the pups...and how at christmas they (the grandkids) love to help decorate the stockings in the kennel

I may be a fool here... but the lady really struck me as someone who simply loves her dogs. I can see that you've all had many others like me here ... buy a dog, without knowing where it came from... I understand that you all might feel that I'm irresponsible and naieve.

I just want a loyal pet and friend for my kids and child care kids. I'm not loooking for perfection, and these dogs need a home too. I'm hoping I'm not making a mistake.

I want to hear more about your concerns... but also do you think a bad breeder would want us to come to her home for pick up? would she not sell to pet stores or brokers? Would she still get a health exam before leaving out of state? If this really is a bad deal... how can I be sure? AND is there any way she'll give us back our deposit??

Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    Your lower cost dog is very likely going to cost you more long term in health issues and you also won't be supporting someone who obviously cares very little about this breed. This woman is most likely either a backyard breeder, a broker for puppy mill dogs, or a puppy miller pretending to only sell cavaliers. None of these is someone you want to go near. Many of our board members have experienced terrible heartbreak in getting sickly puppies from such people.

The sham registries are there not for producing good health pet quality puppies as an alternative to the real registries but because shoddy breeders cannot get the better quality dogs to breed and also fully intend to dupe unwary buyers into thinking these meaningless registries actually confer some kind of quality mark and health guarantee on the dog. They don't -- just the opposite. These registries only exist to make money off the shoddy breeders. Which they do. But their 'registration' means absolutely nothing.

People here will be happy to help you find a better breeder.

Also please consider that this is a breed that is prone to some potentially costly health issues. If a few hundred dollars matter a lot in purchasing cost, have you considered how to manage potentially large vet costs? For any dog this is always a central consideration but especially so with a purebred -- you need to pick an excellent health focused breeder and need to be able to manage possible health costs/insure the dog.

The Library section has some really good links about what to consider when finding a dog, what to ask the breeder as a minimu, what health certs to be shown, health issues, etc. Sounds like you are getting some good reading done now and I'd be sure to have a good look over all that material.

What is wrong with a backyard breeder? Can you explain? I also am wondering how this situation is for sure producing unhealhty dogs?

Post Thanks / Like

Not to ruin it either.But i have phoned at least 10 breeders in 8 months and hey guess what,i have heard all of that before.Plus she is breeding other dogs.Please you sound like a lovely lady,gentle and caring and she has proberley picked up on that,but ITS NOT WORTH IT.Do what has been suggested an pm one of the girls on site they will be of fantastic help.But then again you could be what the vet said to us DAM LUCKY.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brika View Post
    We're thrilled... and worried too. We have been researching Cav's for a year now, and we're delighted to add one to our family, but I'm hoping we didn't make a mistake by buying from the breeder that we did.

We found her online, which I see now is a no no. Too late, I sent deposit.

I'm hoping that this is a reputable breeder... but I'm worried because she doesn't register with AKC... she uses APR and ACA? I've now read they are scam registries.

She doesn't show her dogs, but breeds three other breeds as well.

So, we've sent our deposit and are cautiously hopeful that all is well.

What is your advice on our transaction?

... OH, she does have an exam that she'll have done before we pick her up... some exam she says she does before they can cross state lines? 50$ extra.

What should I look out for?
    Just based on these statements and questions you've written, I truly believe you are dealing with either a puppy mill or back yard breeder.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Yep me too,ALARM BELLS.I have learnt alot from this site,i have also learnt what questions to ask the breeders.please wait ,i know its hard,i would not go back to the lady i got alfs from,but we were lucky.Its not the money,its heartbreaking to see them sick.Only you can decide.

Post Thanks / Like

Who could she pm,for good advice......