• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavalier Lost - Worcester Park UK

It is really sad.

A good time to remind people: get a microchip as this is the single best way, because most permanent, for identifying your cavalier, and will identify it if tags are lost or removed and give LEGAL GROUNDS in a dispute for getting your dog back.

A collar and tags are also very important because not all people who find your dog will take it to be scanned, not all pounds and shelters or vets may scan. A dog can sit in the pound for days before being scanned. A tag means a call will be made within minutes.

I recommend getting two sided tags with your name address and number on one side and on the back:

* Spayed/neutered (if relevant -- NB spaying/neutering and making it obvious on the tag CAN prevent your dog being stolen or increase chances it will be released by thieves)
* Microchipped (same as above)
* "If you found me I am lost. Reward for return."

The problem with microchips is that police and vets do not check them. Anne, who some may recall lost Josh, her ruby, about 18 months ago, asked local vets if , they had any new clients with rubies and if they would check them for microchips, as Josh was chipped. They refused to give such informationa and, said that they wouldn't check, in any case, as clients wouldn't like this.

I can't understand why vets do this. It takes 2 mins to check all animals that come into the surgery! I'm sure most owners wouldn't mind verifying information on the chip as a security process if it meant less theft. I think I'll ask the vet on my next visit why this doesn't happen. :confused:

The vets , contacted about the lost dog, probably thought the clients would feel the vet didn't trust them, but as a vet I spoke to said, it's an easy matter to take the dog away to be weighed, in another room.

Great news - he has been re-united with his owners - apparently he was handed in to the police station :rah:

I am so glad to hear that!!

i thought it was now routine procedure that any and all strays handed into the police or shelters etc were to be scanned for micro-chips and any relevant data found be checked back to petlog?
If this is not happening I would feel that I wasted my time a) chipping all of my dogs, and more importantly bothering to become a qualified "chipper"! :bang: :swear:

Here is a stupid question for you. Where do you put the tags!? Do you put them on the same link you use to attach the leash? This probably seems like a really dumb question, but I am entirely serious. It's just that I don't recall seeing any dogs with their tags facing upward when being walked... but there isn't any place else to put them, is there?

Also, I sometimes walk Molly with her collar and sometimes with her Puppia harness. Do I have to get doubles of all tags??

By the way, I never thought about vets scanning for microchips, though I see that that makes sense. However, I certainly would expect the shelters to scan for them, as soon as possible! Why would they want to keep an extra dog hanging around when the owner would probably come to collect the poor thing immediately?? It's a little discouraging to hear that this doesn't happen routinely.

Thanks,
-laura

This little fellah wasn't tagged or chipped!

I keep a tag on both my girls collars - which they wear all the time. In the UK it is actually the law that you must have your dogs tagged with identification of your name and address, but so many people do not do this.

Yes this is so true, a dog was hit by a car ouside our house earlier this year, he was fine by the way apart from a cut on his muzzle, he didn't have a collar on so I grabbed my scanner and scanned him all over, he wasn't chipped either! Happily his owner was out looking for him, he had gotten frightened in all the high winds, one of their fence panels had gotten blown out and he went out through the gap. Once he had been checked over at the vets they bought him to me and I chipped him for them for free!!
All my dogs are chipped and I scan them every 3 months when I worm them to check for migration :xfngr: hasn't happened so far and they all have their name and my phone number on the tags, I am wary about the address, I also have seperate tags with my mobile number on for them too, then if we are out at a show or on holiday it is easier for folks to locate me!!

It is actually a legal requirement to have YOUR {not the dog's} name and address on a dog tag - obviously it makes sense to also have a phone number.

Even if they are microchipped and/or tattooed, the dog is still required to wear an id tag.

I have our surname, address, and mobile and landline numbers - it all fits nicely onto a small bone shaped tag.

I get mine from

http://www.identitag.co.uk/Petidtag/index.htmhttp://www.identitag.co.uk

They last really well - others I have had for a similar length of time are getting hard to read and need replacing :)

ohh i'm so glad that they found him!! I live ten minutes from worcester park (i'm KT1 area), I wud'v been out with cookie looking if i knew.

...quite a few dogs have gone missing here

This little fellah wasn't tagged or chipped!

I keep a tag on both my girls collars - which they wear all the time. In the UK it is actually the law that you must have your dogs tagged with identification of your name and address, but so many people do not do this.

I'll do it now ! losing my Ulysse would be awful ! I will ask my vet to check his microship too !
I am happy to hear this dog is with his family again !

Back