• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

ill treatemt

matties mum

We have had some decoration done in the last week or so when useing a yard brush Sam is very frighten I wonder if he has beeh hit sometimes he laids down has if you are going to kick him I just wish who ever did these things rots in hell He is such a loverly dog that it is quiet upsetting to see I wish I could have 5 minutes alone with whoever did it
----Aileen and the gang (Jazzie---Barney---Sam_

Our rescue lab was the same,if you went near his head or went to cuddle or kiss him he wouls back up as fast as he could,we reckon he had been hit over the haed,it took yrs to calm him down.

Its a disgrace, I don't understand how anybody could treat an animal badly, especially a cavalier as they are so full of love and cuddles

Oh that makes me sooo very sad!
Poor, poor baby---thank GOD he has YOU!!! You are his angel;) !

It was funny talking about our Lab,the fella who used to own him stopped me in the street about 4 weeks of us adopting him and guess what,told me to give him back there and then in the middle of a busy street,i was speechless,i ran all the way back home with the dog and reported it to the rescue,UNBELIEVABLE.

If it helps you feel any better, not all fearful behaviors are caused by abuse. A lot of dogs don't receive the socialization early in their lives to help them develop confidence with unusual things. This is why many puppy classes incorporate exposure to strange things: funny hats, umbrellas, sudden noises, etc.

Also, if a dog pulls a shies away from being hugged, cuddled, or kissed, it is possible that the dog simply doesn't like those behaviors. Hugging is a primate (including Human) behavior that dogs often dislike. When another dog puts its head over another dog's neck, it is often interpreted as a sign of dominance, not a heartfelt, emotional connection. If you look at the face of a dog who is being hugged, the dog often looks miserable because it isn't enjoying the hug itself. It might allow the hug to occur because it is a socialized, well-behaved dog, but it's often not something a dog will do on its own.

The cavalier is the only dog I've ever seen that comes to close to initiating a hug, which we've dubbed the "cavalier hug." The cav shoves its chest into the face of person it wants affection from. Cedar does this sometimes, and it's mostly done when she wants attention and I am ignoring her. I think that she's discovered that hugging is a great way to get a human to love on her, so she does it for attention because it works, not necessarily because she instinctively wants to hug.

Anyway, I hope it helps to think that these responses can be normal, canine responses to things rather than the result of abuse.

The cavalier is the only dog I've ever seen that comes to close to initiating a hug, which we've dubbed the "cavalier hug." The cav shoves its chest into the face of person it wants affection from. .

my papillon does this , Though I've not known a cavalier do it

I think she mainly does it to put her scent on me so everyone knows i'm her property ,lol

she's scared of tv remotes, I think her last owner must have thrown them at her for barking & she still doesn't like being picked up after 3 years here. She runs off when you go to touch her

Last edited:
It may well be that he was ill treated but then again my 7 month old cavalier wails like a banshee and jumps away from and then rushes barking at the brush when I sweep the floor.She's always been a pampered princess but just doesn't seem to like the movement of the brush which she seems to feel is "aggressive".She also hates certain things on TV and barks at that.For some unknown reason she hates boxes of firelighters and is very wary of them, barking frantically and cowering away from them.Oh and the printer by my Pc,woah!
I guess they can have irrational fears/dislikes just like children can.
Who knows what goes on in their little heads but I'm glad he's found such a happy stable home.
Sins

It was funny talking about our Lab,the fella who used to own him stopped me in the street about 4 weeks of us adopting him and guess what,told me to give him back there and then in the middle of a busy street,i was speechless,i ran all the way back home with the dog and reported it to the rescue,UNBELIEVABLE.

This is one reason we never give information to the where the rescues go. Once they have given up the dog and others have taken care of all the overdue health care and they are homed where they are wanted- there is no getting them back.

Hi Aileen.
Poor Sam. Can't remember sweeping with him there, so i can't comment. Holly is terrified of the Ironing board for no reason. She runs a mile when she sees it coming out. - No idea why. Perhaps it's just a new thing to him and its size scares him.
Yvonne

Thats funny because alfs loves seeing the ironing board,what he does is,when i am ironing hubbys shirts as i twist them around he sits on the warm bit as it falls to the floor,he can only do this with shirts and quilt covers.Oh and he goes mad when i squirt him with the water in the iron.I dont think hes that keen on that bit but he loves a fight.

We have had some decoration done in the last week or so when useing a yard brush Sam is very frighten I wonder if he has beeh hit sometimes he laids down has if you are going to kick him I just wish who ever did these things rots in hell He is such a loverly dog that it is quiet upsetting to see I wish I could have 5 minutes alone with whoever did it
----Aileen and the gang (Jazzie---Barney---Sam_
Poor Sam! Please give him extra hugs from me! :hug:

Not all doggie fears & fobias are caused by ill treatment. There are just some things that freak out some dogs. Some dogs are very fearful of new things.

Back